* Re: Migrating from ActivAda to ObjectAda
@ 1996-11-26  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1996-11-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <329B102C.429B@magic.fr>, Jerome Haguet <strategies@magic.fr> writes:

> We have just bought the new Ada compiler from Thomsoft (formerly Alsys)
> More than an evolution, it seems to be, according our first tests, a
> new product.

I never used the old one.

> The problem is the following :
> How do you adapt an organization based on libraries and invocation files
> to this new product.
> There is nothing about migration in the documentation we received.

But the new one is horribly light on documentation.  In response
Thomsoft (now renamed to another A-word) has said they are working
on printed documentation for V7.1 and for materials charges of
about $30 they will send the current working draft.  For your
particular problem that might be worth it if only to see that
there is nothing included and feed that back to them before the
final version.

> Every remark will be welcome.

So that is my excuse for the above non-answer to your real
question :-)

Larry Kilgallen

* Migrating from ActivAda to ObjectAda
@ 1996-11-26  0:00 Jerome Haguet
From: Jerome Haguet @ 1996-11-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: intel-objectada

Hello
We have just bought the new Ada compiler from Thomsoft (formerly Alsys)
More than an evolution, it seems to be , according our first tests, a
new product.
The problem is the following :
How do you adapt an organization based on libraries and invocation files
to this new product.
There is nothing about migration in the documentation we received.
Maybe somebbody already face the situation, and have experience/advice
about methodolgy/tips to give/share.
Every remark will be welcome.
-- Jerome HAGUET, Strategies, Rungis, France --
-- Tel   : (33 1 | 01) 41 73 04 80           --
-- Fax   : (33 1 | 01) 41 73 04 99           --

* Re: (in French) from ActivAda to ObjectAda
@ 1996-11-27  0:00 ` Paul Chardon
From: Paul Chardon @ 1996-11-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bonjour,
	J'ai rencontre le meme genre de probleme. Malheureusement les
librairies ne sont pas compatibles d'une version a l'autre. La seule
solution reste de re-construire de nouvelles familles et librairies et
de recompiler tous vos sources. Le probleme restant est un probleme de
gestion de conf., puissqu'il est peu aise de maintenir des objets des
unites de compilation dans les deux versions du compilateur quand cela
est necessaire, puisque ca demande de conserver les deux versions de
l'outil et eventuellement de faire evoluer les sources en parallele.
	Voila pour mon experience, Paul.

* Re: Migrating from ActivAda to ObjectAda
@ 1996-11-27  0:00   ` Dave Wood
From: Dave Wood @ 1996-11-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dpw

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> In article <329B102C.429B@magic.fr>, Jerome Haguet <strategies@magic.fr> writes:
>
> > We have just bought the new Ada compiler from Thomsoft (formerly Alsys)
> > More than an evolution, it seems to be, according our first tests, a
> > new product.
> > The problem is the following :
> > How do you adapt an organization based on libraries and invocation files
> > to this new product.

The ObjectAda library model is light and open (compared
to the previous model used by ActivAda) so you'll need
to get accustomed to not having all that heavy-handed
library management to contend with.  Fortunately, this
is much easier to do than the reverse.

Given that compilation order doesn't matter, much of the
raison d'etre of invoke files is gone.  You can run the
tools from a batch file or a command line.  All you need
is:

	adareg *.ad?
	adabuild main

and it's done.

> > There is nothing about migration in the documentation we received.
>
> But the new one is horribly light on documentation.  In response
> Thomsoft (now renamed to another A-word) has said they are working
> on printed documentation for V7.1 and for materials charges of
> about $30 they will send the current working draft.  For your
> particular problem that might be worth it if only to see that
> there is nothing included and feed that back to them before the
> final version.

All things considered, there can never be too much
documentation.  We continue to work toward product
excellence both in terms of the software itself and
the documentation.  To that end, v7.1 will include
enhancements to the already provided 47 MB of help
and reference files, 23 MB of various sample
programs, and 5 MB of tutorial/ courseware.  We
will also make available bound documents, including
command-line reference.

Still, I can promise that it will not be enough, and
we will work to provide even more in v7.2, v7.3,
and beyond.  This is one good reason to partake of
our subscription plan.

If you have specific suggestions for product and
documentation enhancements, you are invited to send
them to me and/ or our suggestion line:

	oa-test@east.thomsoft.com

where we collect all suggestions and adopt as many
as we can within the constraints of our release
schedules.

Incidently, the above contact info is also provided
as part of our on-line documentation.   :)

-- Dave Wood
-- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows
-- Aonix - "Ada with an Attitude"
-- http://www.aonix.com