From: Ken Garlington <garlingtonke@lmtas.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: NVRAM or how can I enforce a range check in Ada83.
Date: 1996/11/22
Date: 1996-11-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> Ken Garlington says
>
> "There is an Ada 83 interpretation that says compilers are permitted to warn
> you if the Source and Target are of different sizes on an unchecked conversion,
> but as I understand it this isn't a requirement."
>
> This is not right. No interpretation is needed to permit a compiler to
> generate warning messages, a compiler can generate whatever warning
> messages it likes, since these are entirely outside the language.

There is an Ada 83 AI that includes these words. It may not be a well-written AI,
but it does exist. My browser is behaving badly at the moment, but perhaps you
could go look at the Ada 83 AI written about Unchecked_Conversions between source
and target of different sizes, and explain where I misunderstood the words.

--
LMTAS - "Our Brand Means Quality"
For more info, see http://www.lmtas.com or http://www.lmco.com