From: Stephen Leake <Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: how to access Serial port in ada?
Date: 1996/11/22
Date: 1996-11-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Dave Wood wrote:

> Li Li wrote:
> >
> > I have ObjectAda student version. which runs under win95 and creates
> > console applications.
> >
> > How can i access serial port in ObjectAda.
>
> Write a device driver.

If this is the best ObjectAda and Alsys/Thompson/Aonix (I wish they'd
stop changing names!) can do, I'm certainly not giving them my money!

Surely you can access the Windows 95 comm port driver? Under Windows 3.1
and Borland C++, there was a binding to the Windows API functions for
the serial port (OpenComm, ReadComm, WriteComm). Surely ObjectAda can
provide a binding to these functions for Windows 95!?

Granted, Li Li didn't say what s/he wanted to do with the serial port,
but it is VERY likely that the Windows 95 comm driver will suffice!

Telling a newcomer to go write a device driver is NOT the way to market
your company!
--
- Stephe