* Compiler for Windows-95?
@ 1996-10-26  0:00 Kenn E. Thompson
From: Kenn E. Thompson @ 1996-10-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's been years since I studied Ada.  Is there a freeware compiler
available on the web?  What ever happened to index file structures
being part of a native language?  Of course, I can write index files,
but my code is not as effecient as the code generated by a compiler.
BTW, is Ada still the official language of the DOD?

* Re: Compiler for Windows-95?
@ 1996-10-27  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1996-10-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

www.gnat.com has pointers.

>                        What ever happened to index file structures
> being part of a native language?  Of course, I can write index files,
> but my code is not as effecient as the code generated by a compiler.

No such capability was included in the Ada 95 revision of the standard,
but many elements more needed for portability were included.  One comment
in a recent discussion of indexed files was that a relational database
could be used to provide the capabilities of an indexed file system.

The SQL interface should be relatively portable between machines,
and database vendors probably do a better job at efficiency of
implementation that Ada vendors would do.  Most implementations
of SQL are not free, but one of the major advances in Ada 95 is
a portable interface to software written in C.  If you cannot find
any free implementation of SQL written in Ada, you might be able to
find one written in C.

> BTW, is Ada still the official language of the DOD?

To a certain extent, but waivers are granted to use other languages.
Some Ada supporters feel that mandated government use is now not so
important as having Ada used in a variety of settings on the basis
of technical superiority.  Keep reading this newsgroup and you will
hear more than you can stand about that topic.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Compiler for Windows-95?
@ 1996-10-28  0:00   ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 1996-10-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> In article <54tntd$7jp@data.csw.net>, kthompso@CSWNET.COM (Kenn E. Thompson) writes:
>
> >                        What ever happened to index file structures
> > being part of a native language?  Of course, I can write index files,
> > but my code is not as effecient as the code generated by a compiler.

DEC Ada provides packages for efficient index files. I would assume the GNAT
compiler for Alpha/VMS will also support these packages.

> > BTW, is Ada still the official language of the DOD?

Per the last DoD directives, yes. However, as has always been the case,
exceptions are made under certain circumstances. These "certain circumstances"
can change over time.

--
LMTAS - "Our Brand Means Quality"
For more info, see http://www.lmtas.com or http://www.lmco.com