From: Jonas Nygren <ehsjony@ehs.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: Experiment Proposal re Languages
Date: 1996/10/24
Date: 1996-10-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I believe I saw something similar, to what Alan describes below,
in the comp.lang.functional some year(s) ago. I can't remember what
languages were included in the excersise more than C and some
functional language. The C code was never completed I believe and
the functional language, perhaps Haskell, were the most efficient
in terms of man hours spent and lines of code needed.

Perhaps somebody else have a reference to this experiment?

/jonas

Alan Brain wrote:

> Re Language Wars.
>
> It's my contention that not all languages are created equal. That some
> have definite advantages over others, all other things being equal. For
> example, and to be non-contraversial, programming in binary is likely to
> be less productive than in C, in general. And a language specifically
> tailored to a problem domain is likely to be better than any
> general-purpose language.
>
> So I'd like to try an experiment.
<snip>