* Re: OOP and Classic-Ada
@ 1992-04-21 16:59 Joe Tallet
From: Joe Tallet @ 1992-04-21 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Article <4657@grus.cs.nps.navy.mil> larsonb@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

Ben,

For Classic-Ada(tm) help, you can e-mail our support address (support@sps.com).

Our BIX account was stopped in 1989/1990 due to lack of customer use.  (Even
when we gave out free one year subscriptions!)  Also, your Classic-Ada (CA)
manual contains an 800 number for CA support.

>I'm working on a project using Classic Ada (an OOP front-end for Ada
>developed by Software Productivity Solutions, Melbourne FL) and am
>trying to create a seamless (as possible) interface with some other
>non-Classic Ada code.  If you've tried to do this, I sure would like
>to exchange some ideas with you.
>
>Basically I'm writing some Classic Ada code that will manage some
>simple graphical objects (air track symbols and info) for display in a
>map application.  I'm not interacting with any database--just keeping
>a few tracks in memory.  I can elaborate more if you are interested.

We interface CA to non-CA to CA code all the time! Since the CA processor
accepts both Ada and Classic-Ada, you would simply have the bodies of your
messages reference the necessary Ada routines.  You could also encapsulate
your graphics packages within CA classes.  This would give you an object
oriented interface to your graphics packages.

For more specific information (I'm trying to be very general here because
I'm unsure of your dilemma) just ask away...

>I'm curious about what kind of interest
>there is out there for this product.  Is it used for production code?
>Or is it mainly used in the academic world?

Classic-Ada is used primarily in the business world.  We have many more
business customers than academic customers.

>I'm also curious to know
>if Ada 9X will make the OOP niche disappear for Classic Ada.

Ada 9X will not impact Classic-Ada or Classic-Ada users.  When Ada 9X
emerges, the Classic-Ada processor will output Ada 9X code.  Also, we
will be at least two steps ahead of Ada 9X by providing persistent objects
as well as multiple inheritance.  We currently have support for persistent
objects (objects whose data is automatically saved between application
executions).  We will have multiple inheritance by the time Ada 9X becomes
real.

Joe Tallet                   jot@sps.com                  !uunet!sps!jot
Software Productivity Solutions, Inc.
122 Fourth Ave.
Indialantic, FL 32903                                       407-984-3370

only message in thread, other threads:[~1992-04-21 16:59 UTC | newest]