* Could anyone help me please? Thank you!
@ 2011-10-19 11:35 Sunny
From: Sunny @ 2011-10-19 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All!
I am a graduate in a university in China. When I knew there is a
programming language call Ada, I search it on google. Then I was
attracted to it.
So I want to use it to finish my research.  I want to find a textbook
about Ada. Then I search it on google. I find Programming in Ada 2005
is the best.

However, the prize when the book ship to China. It will cost me
$200(heavy tax in China!!!! ).I can't afford it. My cost of living in
per month just $150(do not be surprised. A sumptuous lunch will only
cost $1-1.5 in college cafeteria).

So could anyone do me a favor please? Could you tell me where to buy
the e-book about  Programming in Ada 2005? I think it may probably
cheaper. If anyone could send me the used book or the scan version
about the book. It will be best! We can discuss the details later.

I will be very appreciate for your help! And thanks all!
Sun

* Re: Could anyone help me please? Thank you!
@ 2011-10-19 11:56 ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-10-19 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:35:15 +0200, Sunny <daetalusun@gmail.com> a écrit:
> So could anyone do me a favor please? Could you tell me where to buy
> the e-book about  Programming in Ada 2005? I think it may probably
> cheaper. If anyone could send me the used book or the scan version
> about the book. It will be best! We can discuss the details later.

Would you enjoy some on-line reference too ? Are you seeking for
references ? Tutorials to learn the language ? Papers about Ada's
rationales ? These are all different purpose, and depending on the
purpose, we may suggest you some good on-line materials (you may just
locally clone web content for off-line browsing if that's OK for you).

--
“Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semi-colons.”  [Epigrams on
Programming — Alan J. — P. Yale University]

* Re: Could anyone help me please? Thank you!
@ 2011-10-19 17:50 ` Simon Wright
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Wright @ 2011-10-19 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sunny <daetalusun@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All!
> I am a graduate in a university in China. When I knew there is a
> programming language call Ada, I search it on google. Then I was
> attracted to it.
> So I want to use it to finish my research.  I want to find a textbook
> about Ada. Then I search it on google. I find Programming in Ada 2005
> is the best.

[1] points to
* Ada95: The craft of object-oriented programming [2]
* Ada Distilled [3] (there's also an HTML version, I think)
* Object oriented programming in Ada95 [4]

[1] http://www.adaic.org/learn/materials/#ada_95_books
[2] http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/
[3] http://www.adaic.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Ada-Distilled-24-January-2011-Ada-2005-Version.pdf
[4] http://www.brighton.ac.uk/ada95/home.html

* Re: Could anyone help me please? Thank you!
@ 2011-10-19 18:03 ` Jinsong Zhao
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jinsong Zhao @ 2011-10-19 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2011-10-19 19:35, Sunny wrote:
> Hi All!
> I am a graduate in a university in China. When I knew there is a
> programming language call Ada, I search it on google. Then I was
> attracted to it.
> So I want to use it to finish my research.  I want to find a textbook
> about Ada. Then I search it on google. I find Programming in Ada 2005
> is the best.
>
> However, the prize when the book ship to China. It will cost me
> $200(heavy tax in China!!!! ).I can't afford it. My cost of living in
> per month just $150(do not be surprised. A sumptuous lunch will only
> cost $1-1.5 in college cafeteria).

Wow, I also hope to get a copy of "Programming in Ada 2005" by John
Barnes. And, with a similar situation, I can't afford it.

I have dug many libraries, and found there is a copy of "Programming in
Ada 95" in Peking University Library. Through, the updates form 95 to
2005 were not included in that book, I think it is enough for a beginner.

> So could anyone do me a favor please? Could you tell me where to buy
> the e-book about  Programming in Ada 2005? I think it may probably
> cheaper. If anyone could send me the used book or the scan version
> about the book. It will be best! We can discuss the details later.
>
> I will be very appreciate for your help! And thanks all!
> Sun

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Jinsong

* Re: Could anyone help me please? Thank you!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-10-19 21:21 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2011-10-19 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Sunny" <daetalusun@gmail.com> wrote in message
> So could anyone do me a favor please? Could you tell me where to buy
> the e-book about  Programming in Ada 2005? I think it may probably
> cheaper. If anyone could send me the used book or the scan version
> about the book. It will be best! We can discuss the details later.

I'm not aware of any electronic version of that book. John Barnes makes his
living authoring books (along with related things like training sessions)
and as such expects people to pay for them. John guards the electronic
copies pretty carefully; I don't think I ever saw a complete e-copy of the
book even when I was helping him with some of the examples (I just saw the
part he wanted help with).

If you want a free resource, I highly recommend Ada Distilled, which is
available on-line (one of the other respondents gave a link). The Wikibook
is also good.

                                     Randy.

* Re: Could anyone help me please? Thank you!
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-10-20 18:13 ` John McCormick
From: John McCormick @ 2011-10-20 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So could anyone do me a favor please? Could you tell me where to buy
> the e-book about  Programming in Ada 2005? I think it may probably
> cheaper. If anyone could send me the used book or the scan version
> about the book. It will be best! We can discuss the details later.
>
> Sun

There is an electronic version of my new book "Building Parallel,
Embedded, and Real-Time Applications with Ada" available from the
publisher's website  http://www.cambridge.org/   You can search for
the title or my last name.  The book includes a long chapter to
introduce experienced programmers to Ada's sequential constructs,
including detailed discussions of types. The sections on low level
programming, concurrent programming, distributed applications, and
real-time applications may or may not be of interest to you.

The free online references mentioned by Simon are probably the best
place to start.

Good luck,
John

* Re: Could anyone help me please? Thank you!
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-11-11 23:57 ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2011-11-11 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 19, 11:35 am, Sunny <daetalu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All!
> I am a graduate in a university in China. When I knew there is a
> programming language call Ada, I search it on google. Then I was
> attracted to it.
> So I want to use it to finish my research.  I want to find a textbook
> about Ada. Then I search it on google. I find Programming in Ada 2005
> is the best.

You only really need to learn Ada95, don't get any Ada83 books. The
Jan Skansholm book is good enough to learn the basics, you can search
the web for info on the rest, the reference manual for the language is
available with or without annotations. The AdaCraft book is good to
start and is free.

When you get to need tasking, there are books that cover parallelism
and Ada out there, but the last post mentioned a ebook for his.

The info is there, problem is whether the Chinese government has
restricted the information from you or not. If so, I'm sure someone
here can post or put up the relevant (free) info for you somewhere you
can get access to.

Luke.

* Re: Could anyone help me please? Thank you!
@ 2011-11-12  0:01   ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2011-11-12  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I forgot to mention there is also #Ada on irc.freenode.org