From: Al Christians <achrist@EASYSTREET.COM>
Subject: Is Ada Any Good for Windows?
Date: 1996/10/16
Date: 1996-10-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

There has been some discussion lately of bindings to enable Windows(32)
programming from Ada, and of what Ada is used for.  I should like to
combine these and ask, is Ada any good for Windows GUI programming?

In particular, are there any toolsets now or RSN that make developing a
snazzy Windows GUI as quick and easy as it is with some of the RAD tools
like Visual Age this'n'that, Optima++, Delphi, and Whatnot?  Should I
figure that if I use Ada for my industrial-strength, very-long-lifecycle
projects, should I also use other languages for cost-effective quicky
projects?  If not, what Ada tools fit this bill?

In particular:  1. Is there a low-cost or free version of Adasage that
can includes a decent GUI maker for Windows 32?  2. Is there anything
like that coming with the next release or two of GNAT?  3. How do the
Thomson products for Ada under Windows stack up against the competitive
packages for other languages for doing quick and easy UI's?

Al