* Possible Ada Forum on CompuServe
@ 1991-04-25 16:52 rharwood
From: rharwood @ 1991-04-25 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know that many Ada devotees are well connected in the electronic worlds of
InterNet, BitNet, DDN, or related government/research/education network.
(Just look at the electronic addresses in AdaIC Newsletter or SIGAda's Ada
Letters!)  Many others are unable to access these networks for one reason
or another, yet they still have a need or desire to retrieve or share
information with fellow Ada enthusiasts.

My basic question is this:  What chance of success would an Ada Forum have on
a pay-for-access network like CompuServe?  Computer Langauge Magazine already
has a forum with a sub-board devoted to Ada, but it doesn't receive any
individual publicity (you basically have to know it's there or specifically ask
to "FIND Ada").  There's a fairly small group of people accessing the Ada
sub-board on a weekly basis (at $6-$12 an hour, you can't waste much time
there!).  It could never replace INFO-ADA or comp.lang.ada (depending on your
access method here), but it could broaden Ada's accessibility to EVERYONE.

I've talked informally with CompuServe folks about several possibilities, but
before I invest a lot of time and effort, I'd like your opinions/suggestions.
Please EMail directly either here or on CIS, and I'll summarize the responses.
-----
Ray Harwood           |Data Basix           |Associate Faculty,
Voice: (602)721-1988  |PO Box 18324         |   Pima Community College
FAX:   (602)721-7240  |Tucson, AZ 85731     |Instructor in Ada and Pascal
CompuServe: 76645,1370|AppleLink: DATA.BASIX|Internet: rharwood@east.pima.edu

* Re: Possible Ada Forum on CompuServe
@ 1991-04-27 16:19 ` Steven V. Case
From: Steven V. Case @ 1991-04-27 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Apr25.095243.1@east.pima.edu>, rharwood@east.pima.edu writes:
> My basic question is this:  What chance of success would an Ada Forum have on
> a pay-for-access network like CompuServe?
> access method here), but it could broaden Ada's accessibility to EVERYONE.
One of the pay-for-access services that I regularly access is BIX (BYTE
Information Exchange, or something like that).  It is affiliated with BYTE
magazine.  There is a somewhat active Ada conference, and the JANUS/Ada
conference also provides some good information (don't worry, it isn't simply
a conference for selling JANUS/Ada).  Although the amount of traffic does
not equal the amount of traffic on 'comp.lang.ada' (aka INFO-ADA), it is
still insightful and has several knowledgable contributors.

BIX tends to be much more technology oriented then Compuserve, and certainly
is not as big.  Like Compuserve, it can be expensive.  If you pay for your
access on an hourly basis, the rates are comparable.  However, you can buy
unlimited, off-peak access for $156 per year, billed quarterly.  You still
have to pay Tymnet charges unless you dial directly into BIX (they do have
9600 baud access), and you can get a flat-rate Tymnet account at $20 per
month.

You can call 1-800-227-2983 to get more information.  Or look for some of
their ads in any of the BYTE magazines.

Regards,
Steve

--
  ____  ____        Steve Case - HQG526           email: case@shamash.cdc.com
 / ___||___ \       Control Data Corporation      AT&T : (612) 853-3345
 \____||____/       Bloomington, MN 55425