* 17 October, 1996 Thursday San Diego ACM SigAda Meeting
@ 1996-10-06  0:00 Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 1996-10-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

To: San Diego SigAda and other Interested parties

Subject: 17 October, 1996 Thursday San Diego ACM SigAda Meeting

Speaker: Steve Oualline

This Month's Feature Presentation:
C++ Style and Reliable Programming; ADA vs. C++ from a C++ Programmer.

Two of the major object oriented programming languages are Ada and C++.  Mr.
Oualline is a well known author who has extensive experience programming in
C and C++. He also is now doing some work in Ada. His views on style and
reliable programming are applicable to both languages. He is in a unique
position to compare and contrast real world software development in both
languages. His books include:

Practical C Programing    O'Reilly

Practical C++ Programing      O'Reilly

Advanced C Programing  Brady

C Elements of Style           M&T

Windows Programing with Borland 4.0    M&T

Time: 6:30 PM

Lecture Starts promptly at 7:00 PM

Date: 17 October, 1996 Thursday

Place: Thompson Software Products, which is located at 10251 Vista Sorrento
Parkway, Suite #300, San Diego, CA  92121-2706.
Duration: About 1 hour.

Please RSVP Robert C. Leif,  if you wish to join the preprogram pizza meal
($5.00 per person).

RSVP Tel. & Fax  Robert C. Leif (San Diego ACM SIGAda Vice Chair)
(619) 582-0437 (Voice and FAX), e-mail rleif@mail.cts.com (Robert C. Leif,
Ph.D.).  Please include the number of individuals desiring pizza, any
special requirements,  your name, telephone number and/or e-mail number when
responding by telephone, Fax, or E-mail.

Directions:

From 805 going North:  Take the Mira Mesa Blvd./Vista Sorrento Parkway
exit.  Stay on the left side of the exit ramp. After the traffic light at
Mira Mesa Blvd., go about 0.5 miles North West.  Thomson is on the right
hand side, 10251 Vista Sorrento Parkway.  You need to look for the Thomson
sign on the right.  It is located after a bend in the road. You need to be
careful not be going so quickly that you zoom past the driveway into
Thomson.  If you exit 805 going North in any of the right (North) lanes,
you will be forced to turn right onto Mira Mesa Blvd.

From 805 going South: Take the Mira Mesa Blvd./Sorrento Valley Road exit.
Turn left onto Mira Mesa Blvd.  Take the first left onto Vista Sorrento
Parkway (at the signal just beyond the freeway overpass).
Go about 0.5 miles North West.  Thomson is on the right hand side, 10251
Vista Sorrento Parkway.   You need to look for the Thomson sign on the
right.  It is located after a bend in the road. You need to be careful not
be going so quickly that you zoom past the driveway into Thomson.

If you are not on this distribution and wish to receive these announcements,
please send your e-mail address to rleif@mail.cts.com

If you are on this distribution and do not wish to continue to receive these
announcements, please notify Robert Leif at rleif@mail.cts.com. Inclusion of
your e-mail address will facilitate its removal from the SigAda mailing list.

* Re: 17 October, 1996 Thursday San Diego ACM SigAda Meeting
@ 1996-10-08  0:00 ` Stanley R. Allen
From: Stanley R. Allen @ 1996-10-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. wrote:

> To: San Diego SigAda and other Interested parties
>
> Subject: 17 October, 1996 Thursday San Diego ACM SigAda Meeting
>
> Speaker: Steve Oualline
>
> This Month's Feature Presentation:
> C++ Style and Reliable Programming; ADA vs. C++ from a C++ Programmer.

Robert:

    Would it be too much to ask, on behalf of all of us on
comp.lang.ada,
for someone in the San Diego SigAda to transcribe (or summarize) this
very
intriguing event and post it here?

    Even with the excellent directions you have given, I believe that
most
of us will not find our way there... :)

--
Stanley Allen
s_allen@hso.link.com

* Re: 17 October, 1996 Thursday San Diego ACM SigAda Meeting
@ 1996-10-10  0:00 ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 1996-10-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. wrote:

> Two of the major object oriented programming languages are Ada and C++.  Mr.
> Oualline is a well known author who has extensive experience programming in
> C and C++. He also is now doing some work in Ada.

That last line doesn't sound as extensive as one would expect from an expert.
Any idea what kind of "work" he's doing? Is he writing a book on Ada style?

--
LMTAS - "Our Brand Means Quality"
For more info, see http://www.lmtas.com or http://www.lmco.com

* Re: 17 October, 1996 Thursday San Diego ACM SigAda Meeting
@ 1996-10-13  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-10-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. wrote:

  Two of the major object oriented programming languages are Ada and C++.  Mr.
  Oualline is a well known author who has extensive experience programming in
  C and C++. He also is now doing some work in Ada.

Ken replied:

  That last line doesn't sound as extensive as one would expect from an expert.
  Any idea what kind of "work" he's doing? Is he writing a book on Ada style?

Well, few people are really experts in both languages. We hear from plenty
of experts in Ada who are not as expert in C++, so it is reasonable to
hear from the other side. After all there are plenty of people at the meeting
to ensure that no factual errors about Ada sneak by :-) [much as Bjarne
occasionally watches comp.lang.ada to make sure that statements here about
C++ are not too outrageous :-)]