From: George Romanski <romanski@east.thomsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Off the Shelf Software
Date: 1996/10/03
Date: 1996-10-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. wrote:

> From: Bob Leif
> Vice President Ada_Med
>
> As has been obvious from postings to Comp.Lang.Ada and other Ada
> distribution lists, the Department of Defense (DoD) is favoring the use of
> commercial off the shelf software.  Very recently the US Food and Drug
> Administration (FDA) has addressed this subject.  Please see below.  I have
> also include the comments on Open systems.  For the last few years, I have
> been arguing that the FDA could learn much from the DoD. I believe in this
> case the FDA can provide good advice to the DoD.

The US DoD has addressed this subject in MIL-STD-882C. (19 Jan 1993)
System Safety Program Requirements

The words are different - 882C uses Non Developmental Items (NDI).

Section 60.5 System Safety for nondevelopmental items
Section 60.5.1 Market investigation
Section 60.5.2 Hazard assessment

Depending on the hazard analysis the NDI will need to be analysed to the
same standards as the rest of the application.

The problem I notice is that the Program Manager has some discretion on how
rigorously subjective material is reviewed.  Companies will to accomplish
the least they can get away with, and people are rewarded for cost saving,
not for risk reduction.

George Romanski