* Re: Java bashing
       [not found]       ` <DyAvxJ.3DF@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
@ 1996-09-27  0:00         ` Mike Stark
From: Mike Stark @ 1996-09-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

James F'jord Lynn wrote:

<snip>
>    While this statement is true (and I am glad to see other languages on the
>  Java VM), I do not know if using Java-ADA (Jada?) conforms to the ISO
>  standard on the issue of GC.  I believe that it doesn't, but I have not seen
>  anything on this topic for either side.  Perhaps someone on the Jada project
>  can enlighten us?

I assume you mean the Ada ISO standard -- I believe that it allows but
doesn't require GC, and it isn't specific about how GC is accomplished.
I cross-posted to comp.lang.ada to allow the language lawyers to
correct and/or embellish.

I saw a post about 6 months ago saying that Smalltalk and Visual Basic
byte code compilers are also in the works (along with Scheme and maybe
some other less-used languages).  Does anyone know what's going on with
these languages??  Is anyone trying to do a C++ to byte-code compiler??

Mike

* Re: Java bashing
@ 1996-09-29  0:00           ` James O'Connor
From: James O'Connor @ 1996-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <324BF757.7ACE@gsfc.nasa.gov>, Mike Stark <michael.e.stark@gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:
>James F'jord Lynn wrote:
>>
><snip>
>>    While this statement is true (and I am glad to see other languages on the
>>  Java VM), I do not know if using Java-ADA (Jada?) conforms to the ISO
>>  standard on the issue of GC.  I believe that it doesn't, but I have not seen
>>  anything on this topic for either side.  Perhaps someone on the Jada project
>>  can enlighten us?
>>
>I assume you mean the Ada ISO standard -- I believe that it allows but
>doesn't require GC, and it isn't specific about how GC is accomplished.
>I cross-posted to comp.lang.ada to allow the language lawyers to
>correct and/or embellish.
>
>I saw a post about 6 months ago saying that Smalltalk and Visual Basic
>byte code compilers are also in the works (along with Scheme and maybe
>some other less-used languages).  Does anyone know what's going on with
>these languages??  Is anyone trying to do a C++ to byte-code compiler??
>
>Mike

I know IBM has a Rexx->Java translator available.  It's known as NetRexx.
  It actually translates NetRexx (an extension of Rexx) into Java and then
 feeds the Java code into the Javac compiler.  It works under Win95 and I'm
 currently downloading it to use under OS/2.  Since the translation
 is done by a Java class; the same package should run off any Java
implementation.  Try

http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/rexx or
http://www.ibm.com/Technology/NetRexx/nrdown.htm#nrexx

There is also work going on for a Smalltalk->Java byte-code compiler.  I'm not
sure on who is doing it or what status it's in.  This is being met with mixed
weaker object model and class hierarchy of Java effectively makes a Smalltalk->
 Jave conversion somewhat a waste.

James O'Connor
oconnor@apci.net

* Re: Java bashing
@ 1996-09-29  0:00           ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1996-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike Stark (michael.e.stark@gsfc.nasa.gov) wrote:

: James F'jord Lynn wrote:
: >
: <snip>
: >    While this statement is true (and I am glad to see other languages on the
: >  Java VM), I do not know if using Java-ADA (Jada?) conforms to the ISO
: >  standard on the issue of GC.  I believe that it doesn't, but I have not
: >  seen anything on this topic for either side.  Perhaps someone on the
: >  Jada project can enlighten us?
: >

: I assume you mean the Ada ISO standard -- I believe that it allows but
: doesn't require GC, and it isn't specific about how GC is accomplished.
: I cross-posted to comp.lang.ada to allow the language lawyers to
: correct and/or embellish.

That's true.  The Ada ISO standard allows the use of garbage collection.
There is a pragma "Controlled" which is designed for turning *off*
garbage collection for a particular access type.  This pragma might
be implemented in the Java environment by performing allocations for such
an access type using a foreign language allocator (such as C's malloc),
or be left unimplemented given its inappropriateness to the Java virtual
machine execution environment (see RM95-1.1.3(6) which allows such
variations from the standard).

: ...
: Mike

-----
Intermetrics, Inc.  Cambridge, MA  USA

* Re: Java bashing
@ 1996-09-30  0:00           ` CsO
From: CsO @ 1996-09-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike Stark wrote:
|I saw a post about 6 months ago saying that Smalltalk and Visual Basic
|byte code compilers are also in the works (along with Scheme and maybe
|some other less-used languages).  Does anyone know what's going on with
|these languages??  Is anyone trying to do a C++ to byte-code compiler??
Kawa is a scheme interpreter written completely in the Java (TM)
programming language. Scheme procedures are compiled to Java bytecodes.
<http://www.copsol.com/kawa/index.html>