* Where is this software, please.
@ 1996-09-25  0:00 Ian Ward
From: Ian Ward @ 1996-09-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a new Windows 95 based olivetti portable,
and am a Compuserve member, does anyone know
where I can find the latest versions of :
GNAT,
GCC,
and EMACS.
(And what are the latest versions?)

Thanks, in advance,

---
Ian Ward's opinions only.

* Re: Where is this software, please.
@ 1996-09-25  0:00 ` James Youngman
From: James Youngman @ 1996-09-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <52b3ul$6rs@btmpjg.god.bel.alcatel.be>, wardi@rsd.bel.alcatel.be
says...

>I have a new Windows 95 based olivetti portable,
>and am a Compuserve member, does anyone know
>where I can find the latest versions of :
>GNAT,
>GCC,
>and EMACS.

If these are the applications you wish to use, don't you think that you may
have chosen the wrong operating system?

Source for all these and more can be found in ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu.

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems |The trouble with the rat-race
 Before sending advertising material, read   |is, even if you win, you're

* Re: Where is this software, please.
@ 1996-09-26  0:00   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1996-09-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Youngman wrote:

> In article <52b3ul$6rs@btmpjg.god.bel.alcatel.be>, wardi@rsd.bel.alcatel.be
> says...
> >
> >I have a new Windows 95 based olivetti portable,
> >and am a Compuserve member, does anyone know
> >where I can find the latest versions of :
> >GNAT,
> >GCC,
> >and EMACS.
>
> If these are the applications you wish to use, don't you think that you may
> have chosen the wrong operating system?

The answer to this used to be `yes', but it isn't anymore. All of the
above are available for Windows 95:

GNAT: http://ftp.cs.yale.edu/pub/gnat/labtek/index.html
GCC: http://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/readme.html
EMACS: http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html

The GCC port is particularly interesting, since rather than adapting the
code to Windows, Cygnus has written a "gnu emulation" layer
(cygwin32.dll) that makes Windows look like gnu (aka Unix). This means
that all of the gnu utilities will soon be available for Windows. ACT is
currently port GNAT to this environment; I hope someone is doing emacs.

--
- Stephe