* GNAT 68k cross on Linux?
@ 1996-09-21  0:00 DeanNelson
From: DeanNelson @ 1996-09-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does GNAT have the ability to be setup as a cross compiler?

I am thinking of a 68k cross compiler hosted on a linux box. Has anyone
done this? Or is this a trivial activity that is listed on a FAQ
somewhere?

Any ideas, notes, etc?

TIA

Dean Nelson
Lockheed Martin
Las Vegas, Nv

* Re: GNAT 68k cross on Linux?
@ 1996-09-23  0:00 ` Greg Baker
From: Greg Baker @ 1996-09-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: deannelson

deannelson@aol.com (DeanNelson) writes:
> Does GNAT have the ability to be setup as a cross compiler?
>
> I am thinking of a 68k cross compiler hosted on a linux box. Has anyone
> done this? Or is this a trivial activity that is listed on a FAQ
> somewhere?

I'm not overly sure,  but I would expect it to be fairly easy.
Install a cross-compiling gcc (this isn't hard),  and then install
GNAT over it.  Where you might come unstuck is compiling the Ada
runtime system on the host machine.

By the way,  I am wanting to port GNAT to NetBSD/68k,  so we should
keep in touch --- we're doing an almost identical task.

--
Greg Baker - -  http://www.matra.com.au/~gregb - - gbaker@matra.com.au
   - predictions of the future - quantum computers - silly poetry  -

* Re: GNAT 68k cross on Linux?
@ 1996-09-24  0:00   ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1996-09-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <85enju2d1u.fsf@walleroo.rp.CSIRO.AU> Greg Baker <gbaker@walleroo.rp.csiro.au> writes:
>Install a cross-compiling gcc (this isn't hard),  and then install
>GNAT over it.  Where you might come unstuck is compiling the Ada
>runtime system on the host machine.

You need not do this.  Just make .s files for the compiler on the
host machine, then move to the target machine to assembler and link
gnat1.  Then you can use that on the target to make the library.

* Re: GNAT 68k cross on Linux?
@ 1996-09-25  0:00 ` Mats Karlssohn
From: Mats Karlssohn @ 1996-09-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

DeanNelson wrote:

> Does GNAT have the ability to be setup as a cross compiler?
>
> I am thinking of a 68k cross compiler hosted on a linux box. Has anyone
> done this? Or is this a trivial activity that is listed on a FAQ
> somewhere?
>
> Any ideas, notes, etc?
> %<

On the AiS (Ada in Sweden) seminary (spelling ?) in may this year there
were som guy talking about a Cross-GNAT for the CPU32 (68332 I think).
In the papers from the meeting I find a URL:
ftp://ftp.le.chalmers.se/pub/gnu, which I think has to do with this
project, although I'm not sure and haven't got the time to check today,
but feel free to mail me if you think that I can help by digging deeper
into the papers...

--
/Mats Karlssohn (SM5TFX)
No .signature here ;-)