* long term viability of Ada
@ 1996-09-20  0:00 Greg A Barnett
From: Greg A Barnett @ 1996-09-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I attended a meeting today to have the engineers on a new program
explain how/why they choose C++ over Ada95.  The project will be using
CORBA and Java (language, browser, virtual machine - I'm not sure,
I don't think they are either).  The arguments given were the typical
ones: C++ has better, cheaper tools; C++ compilers are cheaper; everyone
else is using it; CORBA is written in C, therefore..., C++ code is more
efficient, etc., etc., etc.  I can easily refute these with the good
ammo I've seen at the AdaIC, HBAP and posted in this news group.  They
have one argument I can't refute and I'm looking for help.  They claim
that since the DoD is abandoning Ada (their words, not mine) and since
there is very little commercial use of Ada in the US (again their
words), Ada is a dead language that won't be around in 5-10 years. Does
anyone have a crystal ball that sees 5-10 years in the future?  What are
the projections for market share, number of projects written in Ada,
dollar value of Ada contracts, etc.?

BTW, I don't expect this will change their minds, they've made their
decision and facts would just confuse the issue.  Sigh!  I could use
some encouragment.

--
Greg A. Barnett
Lockheed Martin Tactical Defense Systems - Akron

* Re: long term viability of Ada
@ 1996-09-21  0:00 DeanNelson
From: DeanNelson @ 1996-09-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

IMHO,

It'll take a lot more than 5-10 years to flush out the Ada out of all of
the DoD computers. It'll be here for a long time, although, maybe not as
"popular" as C/C++, but maybe on level of Fortran (in 10-20 years though).

Dean Nelson
Lockheed Martin
Las Vegas, Nv

* Re: long term viability of Ada
@ 1996-09-24  0:00 Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1996-09-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen <kilgallen@EISNER.DECUS.ORG> writes:
>In article <3245AFBF.3E28@thomsoft.com>, Dave Wood <dpw@thomsoft.com> writes:
>
>> In fact, we've noted an increasing trend in people looking to move
>> *from* C++ *to* Ada 95.  Right now, I would consider this to be
>> essentially anecdotal because at this point only a few true Ada 95
>> compilers have hit the market.
>
>Dave can count sales, but for the rest of us one metric might be
>to see bookstores briskly selling many volumes entitled "Ada for
>C++ Programmers" or similar.

    Probably the best indicator of long-term viability would be the
    number of college level courses being taught which utilize Ada95.
    People promote the technology they are most familiar with and as
    students emerge from school knowing Ada95, they'll likely sell
    their bosses on it.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        561.796.8997
M/S 731-96                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        561.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDIC@FLINET.COM
   "The Sexual Revolution is over and the microbes won."

        --  P. J. O'Rourke

* long term viability of Ada
@ 1996-09-24  0:00 Mark Bell
From: Mark Bell @ 1996-09-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

22-Sep-96 19:23	nasser@apldbio.com writes

>privilege to use it, when C/C++ jobs are all over the place and every
>where you want them and at any time, and they pay better too.

C/C++ jobs pay BETTER than Ada ???  What a joke...

You obviously have never looked at the Ada market have you ??

I've said it before on the newgroup, and I'll say it again...If
you're willing to relocate (and that's not really necessary after
a while), from *PERSONAL* experience over the past 15 years, I've
NEVER had a problem finding good paying and interesting Ada
jobs !!

What's more, rarely have I ever used the Want Ads of the Sunday
Paper...

If you want to stay in one area, then diversify, be proficient in
C,C++, and Ada, and know more than just how to crank out code...

Regards

Mark S. Bell                           412-268-7925 (Voice)
Software Engineering Institute         412-268-5758 (Fax)
Carnegie Mellon University             ** These are my opinions,
4500 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh PA.,15213      not those of the SEI or CMU **

* Re: long term viability of Ada
@ 1996-10-01  0:00 Simon Johnston
From: Simon Johnston @ 1996-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<dpw@thomsoft.com> writes:

> > > In fact, we've noted an increasing trend in people looking to move
> > > *from* C++ *to* Ada 95.  Right now, I would consider this to be
> > > essentially anecdotal because at this point only a few true Ada 95
> > > compilers have hit the market.
> >
> > Dave can count sales, but for the rest of us one metric might be
> > to see bookstores briskly selling many volumes entitled "Ada for
> > C++ Programmers" or similar.
> >
> > Larry Kilgallen
>=20
> Well, Simon Johnston needs to finish writing that book first!

Ok, Ok, Final draft has now been sent to Addison Wesley. We now hit =
copy-edit and production! Unfortunately this means I no longer have any =
excuse for not doing all that decorating thats been waiting for ages. :(
=20
> :)
>=20
> -- Dave Wood
> -- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows
> -- Thomson Software Products
> -- http://www.thomsoft.com
>=20
>=20
with StandardDisclaimer; use StandardDisclaimer;
package Sig is
--,----------------------------------------------------------------------=
---.
--|Simon K. Johnston - Development Engineer (C++/Ada95) |ICL Retail =
Systems |
Road|
--|Internet : skj@acm.org                               |Bracknell       =

--|Telephone: +44 (0)1344 476320 Fax: +44 (0)1344 476302|Berkshire       =

--|Internal : 7261 6320   OP Mail: S.K.Johnston@BRA0801 |RG12 8TJ        =

--|WWW URL  : http://www.acm.org/~skj/                  |United Kingdom  =

---'
end Sig;