From: Dave Wood <dpw@thomsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Is there an Object-Oriented Windows Ada Compiler for sale?
Date: 1996/09/16
Date: 1996-09-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Eric D. Vasbinder wrote:

>         Just like the subject says, I'm looking for an Object-Oriented
> Windows Ada Compiler.  Of course it has to compete with the VB
> offering from MS (which I will program in if I have to).  It has to
> come with features like, MFC bindings, OCX importers, etc.  I've
> searched around for a package, and the closest one to what I need
> for my development work is ObjectAda "Enterprise Edition" or
> ObjectAda "Professional Edition" with OpenPack and ClearCase from
> Thomson Software Products.  That would be a GREAT setup, however, I
> cannot afford that package as I am a recently graduated college
> student.
>         I would rather not program in VB.  But, when I was at college, I
> got a reduced (full-non-educational license) price version of MS VB
> 4.0 Professional Edition for a price that I could afford.  It has a
> lot of COOL features like, MFC bindings, ability to use OCXs, etc.
> However, I enjoy the Ada language much more than VB, and believe
> that its performance can be much greater.
>         So I guess the point being, is that if any of you out there in Ada
> land can think of a compiler with the amount of features and ease of
> use of MS VB 4.0 Professional Edition (i.e. an equivalent to
> Object-Ada Enterprise Edition from Thomson), at a price under $200.
> Then PLEASE, send that information my way.  I would be eternally
> grateful!  :)

Eric,

No, you most definitely won't find all those capabilities for less than
$200, but on the other hand you don't need the Enterprise edition.  For
one thing, surely you don't need ClearCase integration nor a full support
contract.  At most, you would want the Professional Edition plus the
OpenPack (which provides MFC bindings among other things).

However, you can have most of what you are looking for with the Personal
Edition, and I would suggest that you start there.  You can always move
up later if you feel the need.

It's too bad you didn't purchase while you were still a student so that
you could avail of our educational discount pricing as you did with VB!
Why don't you enroll in one more course??  :)

-- Dave Wood
-- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows and Java
-- Thomson Software Products
-- http://www.thomsoft.com