From: Ken Garlington <garlingtonke@lmtas.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Ada 83:  Type defaults
Date: 1996/09/12
Date: 1996-09-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

hehmeyerj wrote:

> This may be a simple problem but...
>
> I have an enumeration type declaration.  For example:
>
> type x is (A, B, C, D);
>
> And I have about three hundred variables of type x scattered throughout
> 50 packages.  How would you default the type to, say A, without going
> to each individual variable declaration and explicitly defaulting them.
> (ie y : x := A;)
>
> TIA

There's the "wrap a record around it" solution (see other posts).

There's the "Make X an abstract data type" solution, which doesn't
really make the typing easier, but it can be used to _ensure_ that every
variable of type X is given the same default value.

Also, there's the solution that begins:

1. Upgrade to Ada 95... :)

--
LMTAS - "Our Brand Means Quality"