From: Dennison <dennison@iag.net>
Subject: Re: Rational vs SunAda
Date: 1996/09/05
Date: 1996-09-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

James Squire wrote:

> Jerome Desquilbet wrote:
>
> > Sun and Rational Ada 83 compilers are the roughly the same (developped
> > by Rational). Sun's compiler is SunAda and Rational's compiler is VADS.
> > There are Ada 83 compilers.
>
> I could have sworn SunAda WAS VADS, especially since VADS stands for
> Verdix Ada Development System, and since Sun only markets it.
>
> I stop short of disputing the "horse's mouth", but my impression was that
> Rational's Ada 83 compiler is the one in Apex and is quite different than
> VADS.

I believe the piece of the puzzle that you are missing is that Rational BOUGHT
Verdix a few years ago. Thus Rational now sells VADS, Apex (and on some
platforms, Meridian) Ada compilers.

Sun, rather than make their own Ada compiler (like DEC with DECAda), sells a
VADS compiler repackaged as "SunAda".

> "The last time I gave an interview, they told me to just relax and say
> what
>  I really felt. Ten minutes after the broadcast, I got transferred to an
>  outpost so far off the starmap, you couldn't find it with a hunting dog
>  and a Ouiji board."

"Zog."

--
email    - mailto:dennison@iag.net