* GNAT and Windows 95
@ 1996-09-03  0:00 Wasiliy W. Molostoff
From: Wasiliy W. Molostoff @ 1996-09-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perhaps anybody can explain situation with Win32 GNAT porting?
I have seen Cygnus GNU-Win32 Project compiler + libs + binaries
and I think that this is a best place for new versions of GNAT.
Does any body make any efforts in such way?

May be my question is off current topic, sorry for
irregular reading c.l.a.

edv

* Re: GNAT and Windows 95
@ 1996-09-04  0:00   ` Dennison
From: Dennison @ 1996-09-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:

> "Wasiliy W. Molostoff" <edv@rtsnet.ru> wrote:
>
> >Perhaps anybody can explain situation with Win32 GNAT porting?
> >I have seen Cygnus GNU-Win32 Project compiler + libs + binaries
> >and I think that this is a best place for new versions of GNAT.
> >Does any body make any efforts in such way?
>
> Well GNAT for Win32 is not up to date because ACT is working
> on a new distribution.

Labtek handles the Windows 95/NT port of GNAT. Their web page is at
http://ftp.cs.yale.edu/pub/gnat/labtek/index.html

> 1) the Cygnus Win32 GCC has almost all librairies to do Win32
> programming (libkernel32.a libgdi32.a libwsock32.a libglu.a libglaux.a
> libgdbm.a libuser32.a libvfw32.a libodbc32.a and many many more...)
>
> So this version with the Win32Ada binding will enable you to do Win32
> programming without having to buy the SDK or VC++.
> This statement may be a little misleading. Cygnus is NOT building
interfaces to Microsoft's Win32 API. In this respect, the gnu-win32
project seems to be a bit of a misnomer. To quote from the gnu-win32
web page at http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/ -

   The second part of the project (which we are currently in) is
   developing a C library that is enough for GNU programs
   (fileutils, sh-utils, textutils, bash, make) to be compiled on
   a Win32 system without any modification to those programs. From
   their point of view, a Windows NT box is no different than any
   other Unix box.

Cygnus currently suggests that folks who want to do "native Win32
programming" install Scott Christley's windows32api package available
at:
        ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/windows32api-0.1.2.tar.gz

I don't know what state this is in, or how well it matches up with the
GNAT Ada bindings to the Win32 API -
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/source-code/bindings/win32ada/win32ada.html
which require the Microsoft SDK.
--
T.E.D.
email    - mailto:dennison@iag.net

* Re: GNAT and Windows 95
@ 1996-09-04  0:00 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 1996-09-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wasiliy W. Molostoff" <edv@rtsnet.ru> wrote:

>Perhaps anybody can explain situation with Win32 GNAT porting?
>I have seen Cygnus GNU-Win32 Project compiler + libs + binaries
>and I think that this is a best place for new versions of GNAT.
>Does any body make any efforts in such way?

Well GNAT for Win32 is not up to date because ACT is working
on a new distribution.

GNAT Win32 is merging with the Win32 Cygnus GCC and this is a lot of
works.

I don't know when the first release will be out but I'am sure it's
worth waiting... Why ?

Because :

1) the Cygnus Win32 GCC has almost all librairies to do Win32
programming (libkernel32.a libgdi32.a libwsock32.a libglu.a libglaux.a
libgdbm.a libuser32.a libvfw32.a libodbc32.a and many many more...)

So this version with the Win32Ada binding will enable you to do Win32
programming without having to buy the SDK or VC++.

2) Cygnus has done a lot of works to make a UNIX-like layer under
Win32.

So this will enable Win32 Ada user to use packages like Forest
(POSIX-1003.5) under Win32.

Maybe ACT could add more informations or correct me if I said
something worng.

Hope this help,
Pascal.

--|------------------------------------------------------------
--| Pascal Obry                               Team-Ada Member |
--|                                                           |
--| EDF-DER-IPN-SID- Ing�nierie des Syst�mes d'Informations   |
--|                                                           |
--| Bureau G1-010           e-mail: pascal.obry@der.edfgdf.fr |
--| 1 Av G�n�ral de Gaulle  voice : +33-1-47.65.50.91         |
--| 92141 Clamart CEDEX     fax   : +33-1-47.65.50.07         |
--| FRANCE                                                    |
--|------------------------------------------------------------
--|
--|   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pascal_obry
--|
--|   "The best way to travel is by means of imagination"

* Re: GNAT and Windows 95
@ 1996-09-05  0:00     ` Dennison
From: Dennison @ 1996-09-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Kenner wrote:

> Also keep in mind that the Cygnus Win32 stuff is in very early beta
> release and still has lots of problems.  For example, "rm -rf" on a
> directory with 1,000 files prints an infinite loop of error messages
> and hangs the machine when you try to stop it.

Ouch!

> Nevertheless, the package basically works and is quite nice.  Not only
> that, but they've just made a new release.

I'd say its worth getting even if you don't want the compiler. The full
distribution I got (20Meg compressed!) came with practically all of UNIX's
commands. For those of us who need to run Win32 programs, but prefer the
power and syntax of UNIX to DOS, it gives truly the best of both worlds.

--

@ 1996-09-05  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-09-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal said

"Maybe ACT could add more informations or correct me if I said
something worng."

You didn't say anything wrong, your summary was correct :-)

* Re: GNAT and Windows 95
@ 1996-09-05  0:00   ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1996-09-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <50je5k$2ka@cf01> pascal.obry@der.edfgdf.fr (Pascal Obry) writes:
>Well GNAT for Win32 is not up to date because ACT is working
>on a new distribution.
>
>GNAT Win32 is merging with the Win32 Cygnus GCC and this is a lot of
>works.

Also keep in mind that the Cygnus Win32 stuff is in very early beta
release and still has lots of problems.  For example, "rm -rf" on a
directory with 1,000 files prints an infinite loop of error messages
and hangs the machine when you try to stop it.

Nevertheless, the package basically works and is quite nice.  Not only
that, but they've just made a new release.

One pending issue is the question of linking together object files
made from it and from Microsoft utilities.