From: David Taylor <dtaylor@iquest.com>
Subject: why not when others
Date: 1996/09/05
Date: 1996-09-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Chris Sparks wrote:

> I want to thank all of the individuals who responded to my query
> about the "when others" part for a case statement.  My group decided
> to not use "when others" so that the compiler can catch any new additions.
>
> Thanks Robert for the insight about "pragma Assert".  Definitely a winner!
>
> Chris Sparks
>
> PS: Sorry for my ILLEGAL use of the work ERRONEOUS (pun intended)

If you are working on a large program of approx 1M semicolons and have
40 programmmers and many interdependent parts and an overly ambitious
schedule and your best change assessment tool is grep, you will learn to
program defensively by doing such things as not using "when others"
whenever possible.  Learn to make the compiler do as much of the grunt
work as you can.

dt