From: Dennison <dennison@iag.net>
Subject: Re: GNAT and Windows 95
Date: 1996/09/04
Date: 1996-09-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Pascal Obry wrote:

> "Wasiliy W. Molostoff" <edv@rtsnet.ru> wrote:
>
> >Perhaps anybody can explain situation with Win32 GNAT porting?
> >I have seen Cygnus GNU-Win32 Project compiler + libs + binaries
> >and I think that this is a best place for new versions of GNAT.
> >Does any body make any efforts in such way?
>
> Well GNAT for Win32 is not up to date because ACT is working
> on a new distribution.

Labtek handles the Windows 95/NT port of GNAT. Their web page is at
http://ftp.cs.yale.edu/pub/gnat/labtek/index.html

> 1) the Cygnus Win32 GCC has almost all librairies to do Win32
> programming (libkernel32.a libgdi32.a libwsock32.a libglu.a libglaux.a
> libgdbm.a libuser32.a libvfw32.a libodbc32.a and many many more...)
>
> So this version with the Win32Ada binding will enable you to do Win32
> programming without having to buy the SDK or VC++.
> This statement may be a little misleading. Cygnus is NOT building
interfaces to Microsoft's Win32 API. In this respect, the gnu-win32
project seems to be a bit of a misnomer. To quote from the gnu-win32
web page at http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/ -

   The second part of the project (which we are currently in) is
   developing a C library that is enough for GNU programs
   (fileutils, sh-utils, textutils, bash, make) to be compiled on
   a Win32 system without any modification to those programs. From
   their point of view, a Windows NT box is no different than any
   other Unix box.

Cygnus currently suggests that folks who want to do "native Win32
programming" install Scott Christley's windows32api package available
at:
        ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/windows32api-0.1.2.tar.gz

I don't know what state this is in, or how well it matches up with the
GNAT Ada bindings to the Win32 API -
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/source-code/bindings/win32ada/win32ada.html
which require the Microsoft SDK.
--