From: Sarner-BA-MD@PATRIOT-ccmail.SED.Redstone.Army.Mil
Subject: ******************  Ada vs C++ Help  ********************
Date: 1996/08/30
Date: 1996-08-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Hello,

Does anyone know of some good papers comparing Ada 95 to C++.  Would
especially be interested in any studies involving the comparison of
executables of similiar code modules in Ada95 and C++, ie size of .exe
and execution speed and how the code itself was fairly constructed to
be considered comparable to each other.   I am on a project that is
being developed in C with tentative plans to go to Ada.  It is a
government project that may fall under the "Ada mandate".  However,
many of the contractors seem to have a definite *dislike* for Ada.  At
650KSLOC, any Ada conversion will surely cost $$.  They would rather
transition to C++.  Probably because they could then recompile it and
call it that but also since C++ does support OO (the official party
line).

I do not know Ada 95 (will undergo training on it next month - better
late than never...:(( ).

Question: Does Ada 95 implement virtual functions?  If so, can these
funtions be called with access types?  I assume Ada 95 has Class
hierarchies with Inheritance, unlike 83.

Also, I have seen posts here saying C and C++ depend on pointer
arithmetic.  Could someone please elaborate on this and why it is
considered to be "dangerous" or otherwise bad?  I could sure use some
Ada ammo!

Lastly, any suggetions for a good Ada95 book?  Would like a book
focusing on the *new* features in Ada95 and how they implement OO.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Dirk

Dirk Sarner
Software Engineering Directorate
USA Missile Command
Redstone Arsenal, Al 35898
Email: Sarner-BA-MD@PATRIOT-ccmail.SED.Redstone.Army.Mil
Voice: 205-876-7883
FAX:   205-876-0253

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes, which can be made,
in a very narrow field." Bohr, Niels Henrik David (1885-1962)