* Java vs. Ada: Is C for Dummies?
@ 1996-08-23  0:00 Kenneth Mays
From: Kenneth Mays @ 1996-08-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

I think the colleges are still so focused on teaching people the C
programming language that they never mention the pros and cons of
Java or Ada95.

Java is "C++" for the rest of us. The people who don't care about
using pointers, need garbage collection, and
care about cross compatibility. You can compile Java into its byte
code form and run it through your host's Java VM (interpreter). Or,
compile the byte code down to machine level for performance.

The fact is, Java is an enhancement from C - just like C++ was the
superset of C. Ada95, C++, and Java are more on par with each other
than C (the quick, the bad, and the ugly). So the issue should be: Is
Java, Ada95, or C++ the best choice? I'd pick Ada95 or Java.

My reasoning deals with what I've seen of Ada95 and Java in
real-world development. Java is great for internet work on multiple
platforms. Ada95 is readable and easy to work with. I don't know how
many engineers like playing around with pointer arithmetic,
self-modifying code, or other hacks...but if you like doing that then
you have C for the latest hacks. C seems to be the replacement for
assembly coding.

I could talk more on this issue, but see if you can really debate the
Java vs. Ada95 issue. I can come up with some easy reason why we need
both languages (or why we need different ones). Every language has a
specific purpose of why it was made. We still use COBOL, why not redo
everything in C if its so great?

Ken Mays
Ada95 Researcher

* Re: Java vs. Ada: Is C for Dummies?
@ 1996-08-26  0:00 ` Mike Stark
From: Mike Stark @ 1996-08-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kenneth Mays wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I think the colleges are still so focused on teaching people the C
> programming language that they never mention the pros and cons of
> Java or Ada95.
>
> Java is "C++" for the rest of us. The people who don't care about
> using pointers, need garbage collection, and
> care about cross compatibility. You can compile Java into its byte
> code form and run it through your host's Java VM (interpreter). Or,
> compile the byte code down to machine level for performance.
>
> The fact is, Java is an enhancement from C - just like C++ was the
> superset of C. Ada95, C++, and Java are more on par with each other
> than C (the quick, the bad, and the ugly). So the issue should be: Is
> Java, Ada95, or C++ the best choice? I'd pick Ada95 or Java.

I think it's unfair to Java to call it "C++" in any context other than
having C++ like syntax. I have used Java for some small programs, and so
far it has a Smalltalk-like feel.  I have also used AppletMagic to
compile Ada 95 into byte-code, with a Java applet calling the Ada code
and using the results to generate graphics. This has worked very well,
with the only glitches being due to AppletMagic's beta-ish nature.

Thus, when one talks Java and Ada 95, I like to quote Deion Sanders and
say "Both!"  (Now if I can get Jerry Jones to ask me "$15 million or $20
million" :)