From: Mike Stark <michael.e.stark@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Java vs. Ada: Is C for Dummies?
Date: 1996/08/26
Date: 1996-08-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Kenneth Mays wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I think the colleges are still so focused on teaching people the C
> programming language that they never mention the pros and cons of
> Java or Ada95.
>
> Java is "C++" for the rest of us. The people who don't care about
> using pointers, need garbage collection, and
> care about cross compatibility. You can compile Java into its byte
> code form and run it through your host's Java VM (interpreter). Or,
> compile the byte code down to machine level for performance.
>
> The fact is, Java is an enhancement from C - just like C++ was the
> superset of C. Ada95, C++, and Java are more on par with each other
> than C (the quick, the bad, and the ugly). So the issue should be: Is
> Java, Ada95, or C++ the best choice? I'd pick Ada95 or Java.

I think it's unfair to Java to call it "C++" in any context other than
having C++ like syntax. I have used Java for some small programs, and so
far it has a Smalltalk-like feel.  I have also used AppletMagic to
compile Ada 95 into byte-code, with a Java applet calling the Ada code
and using the results to generate graphics. This has worked very well,
with the only glitches being due to AppletMagic's beta-ish nature.

Thus, when one talks Java and Ada 95, I like to quote Deion Sanders and
say "Both!"  (Now if I can get Jerry Jones to ask me "$15 million or $20
million" :)