From: "Byron B. Kauffman" <KauffmanBB@lmtas.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: AIA Position on Ada
Date: 1996/08/23
Date: 1996-08-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ken Garlington wrote:

> I just received this; as far as I know, this is the final version which
> was presented to the NRC group reviewing Ada policy. I don't have any
> more information on the contents of this paper.

> AIA Position Statement on Ada

> For Presentation to the National Research Council

snip...

> The Ada Mandate and Performance Standards.  Current policy in DOD on
> computer languages consists of an exclusive mandate for the use of Ada
> across the DOD.  Two years ago, on June 29, 1994, a SECDEF Memorandum,
> �Specifications and Standards - a New Way of Doing Business,� was
> issued.  This memorandum directs the use of performance standards, more
> reliance on commercial standards as a priority and greater dependence on
> the commercial industrial base.

more snipping...

Can anyone name a 'commercial standard' for software development? Should we use
Microsoft's example of how commercial software is developed? I guess I shouldn't be
suprised, given our company's 'official' stand, but it still bugs me...

But on the brighter side, think of the money the company will be saving now by not having
to spend all those hours coming up with excuses to justify an Ada waiver!!!