* Re: use of Ada
       [not found] <fDLDykuZ1+UK089yn@cpcug.org>
@ 1996-08-12  0:00 ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 1996-08-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wayne Dernoncourt wrote:

> I know that Ada has been mandated for use within DoD, but that they do
> allow exceptions.  How widespread is the use of Ada, both inside and
> outside of the defense industry?
>
> --
> Take care      |   This clown speaks for himself, his job doesn't
> Wayne D.       |   pay for this, etc. (directly anyway)

The short answer is: Ada is used quite bit, both inside and outside the
DoD.

For more information, see:
  http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/usage/Welcome.html

--
LMTAS - "Our Brand Means Quality"

* Re: use of Ada
@ 1996-08-14  0:00   ` Paul Hussein
From: Paul Hussein @ 1996-08-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Garlington <garlingtonke@lmtas.lmco.com> wrote:

>Wayne Dernoncourt wrote:
>>
>> I know that Ada has been mandated for use within DoD, but that they do
>> allow exceptions.  How widespread is the use of Ada, both inside and
>> outside of the defense industry?
>>
>> --
>> Take care      |   This clown speaks for himself, his job doesn't
>> Wayne D.       |   pay for this, etc. (directly anyway)

>The short answer is: Ada is used quite bit, both inside and outside the
>DoD.

>For more information, see:
>  http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/usage/Welcome.html

>--
>LMTAS - "Our Brand Means Quality"

Ada used extensively in defense. You can get away with using other
languages especially if associated with tools. A good example would be
TeleUSE ( a GUI X-Motif tool ) which has its own language called D. We
were allowed to use it because it was part of the tool and tool could
not be used easilt without it.

Ada is also used extensively in the Space and Air Traffic Industries.

* Re: use of Ada
@ 1996-08-19  0:00     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1996-08-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Hussein wrote:

> languages especially if associated with tools. A good example would be
> TeleUSE ( a GUI X-Motif tool ) which has its own language called D. We
> were allowed to use it because it was part of the tool and tool could
> not be used easilt without it.

Its not THAT tough. Of course the alternative is to use UIL, which is
also another language. But at least you aren't shackled to TeleUSE
that way.

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |

* Re: use of Ada
@ 1996-08-20  0:00         ` John Cosby
From: John Cosby @ 1996-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Goodsen wrote:
> Ted Dennison wrote:
> > Paul Hussein wrote:
> > > languages especially if associated with tools. A good example would be
> > > TeleUSE ( a GUI X-Motif tool ) which has its own language called D. We
> > > were allowed to use it because it was part of the tool and tool could
> > > not be used easilt without it.
> > Its not THAT tough. Of course the alternative is to use UIL, which is
> > also another language. But at least you aren't shackled to TeleUSE
> > that way.
> We are consistently asked to compare the use of D vs. C++ on GUI
> projects, and I've gotta tell you that using D (properly, which is
> why they ask experts like us) can give you a 10X performance
> increase over C++ tools.  To make the connotation that you are
> "shackled" to TeleUSE is just an ignorant thing to say.
>
> Using UIL ... now that's what I call being "shackled" ...
>
> TeleUSE is still, by far, the best Motif GUI builder on the market, IMHO...

I agree that TeleUSE is a good GUI development system, and the D language is
very well suited for the problem area (I developed LOTS of lines of D a few
years back).  One thing you overlook - D is a 4GL which is converted into
native C X Window System code.  Machine generated, ugly, but if you want to
muck about in it, you can capture it and hack to your heart's content.  For
those of us living under an Ada mandate, Telesoft/Alsys/Thomson has a version
that outputs Ada from the D compiler, and not C/C++.   I've even heard of
some brave fools who've taken the machine-generated code from a prototype
and worked that into shape for their full-up project.
--
John Cosby                 | Opinions expressed are those of the individual
SAIC Orlando               | and in no way represent any official position

* Re: use of Ada
@ 1996-08-20  0:00         ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1996-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Goodsen wrote:

> Ted Dennison wrote:
> >
> > Its not THAT tough. Of course the alternative is to use UIL, which is
> > also another language. But at least you aren't shackled to TeleUSE
> > that way.
> >

> We are consistently asked to compare the use of D vs. C++ on GUI
> projects, and I've gotta tell you that using D (properly, which is
> why they ask experts like us) can give you a 10X performance
> increase over C++ tools.  To make the connotation that you are
> "shackled" to TeleUSE is just an ignorant thing to say.
>
> Using UIL ... now that's what I call being "shackled" ...

No. If you use UIL, you can easily port to any Motif supported platform,
and can change GUI building tools at any time (even to TeleUSE). Only TeleUSE
can read D code. Thus, if you write your application using D, you are stuck
(ie: tied, shackled, manacled, whatever you prefer) with TeleUSE.

Not that that's a fate worse than death. TeleUSE is a very good product. I use
it myself. I just think it is advisable in most cases to generate UIL with TeleUSE
instead of calls to their propriatery "D" library.  If you have a desparate need for
the dynamic abilities of 'D', and don't mind the loss of portablilty and the extra
licensing fees, then D is probably a good choice.

--

@ 1996-08-20  0:00       ` John Goodsen
From: John Goodsen @ 1996-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tomk

Ted Dennison wrote:

> Paul Hussein wrote:
> >
> > languages especially if associated with tools. A good example would be
> > TeleUSE ( a GUI X-Motif tool ) which has its own language called D. We
> > were allowed to use it because it was part of the tool and tool could
> > not be used easilt without it.
> >

> Its not THAT tough. Of course the alternative is to use UIL, which is
> also another language. But at least you aren't shackled to TeleUSE
> that way.

We are consistently asked to compare the use of D vs. C++ on GUI
projects, and I've gotta tell you that using D (properly, which is
why they ask experts like us) can give you a 10X performance
increase over C++ tools.  To make the connotation that you are
"shackled" to TeleUSE is just an ignorant thing to say.

Using UIL ... now that's what I call being "shackled" ...

TeleUSE is still, by far, the best Motif GUI builder on the market, IMHO...

--
John Goodsen                  Training & Consulting:
jgoodsen@radsoft.com             Rapid Incremental Software Process