* C is 'better' than Ada because...
@ 1996-06-19  0:00 Alan Brain
From: Alan Brain @ 1996-06-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The first real-world C program I did was in 1980. Since 1983 I've been trying to
convince C hackers about the benefits of Ada. Those that actually were forced to do
some real project in Ada were quickly converted. But mainly, no-one tried.

Trying to tell people about the benefits often leads to complete stonewalling. There
has to be a logical reason for this - few programmers have low IQs.

I've finally become convinced that C really IS better than Ada, for the following
reasons:

FOR THE PROGRAMMER

..Hacking away in C is fun, you can add trapdoors and trojan horses real easy

..You can write neat stuff like the following code fragments:

    #define BITCOUNT(x)      (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
    #define BX_(x)            ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777)  \
                                   - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333)  \
                                   - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111)
    p = BX_(n);

    n = ((n>>1)  & 0x55555555) | ((n<<1)  & 0xaaaaaaaa);
    n = ((n>>2)  & 0x33333333) | ((n<<2)  & 0xcccccccc);
    n = ((n>>4)  & 0x0f0f0f0f) | ((n<<4)  & 0xf0f0f0f0);
    n = ((n>>8)  & 0x00ff00ff) | ((n<<8)  & 0xff00ff00);
    n = ((n>>16) & 0x0000ffff) | ((n<<16) & 0xffff0000);

   which is difficult to understand, and makes you look really, really clever,
   even though it does something utterly trivial ( p is the number of bits in n,
   and n ends up with its bit order reversed )

..You'll always have a secure job, trying to make sense of other people's code
   after they've left

..You'll always have a secure job, as with well-written, terse, tight and
   efficient C YOU are the ONLY one who can easily understand your own code!

..You'll always have a secure job, as large C programs always have lots of bugs,
   and require oodles of maintenance

..Compiling is really easy - even when the stuff you're compiling is utter
   garbage, the compiler won't tell on you

..You can ignore most of your coding errors until quite late in the day - with
   any luck, until you've left the project

FOR THE SUPPLIER

..You can always find C hackers, and they're dirt cheap

..With C, you get the initial build done quick, cheap and dirty, and make a
   fortune over the next 10 years putting in new bugs while removing old ones.

FOR THE CUSTOMER

..Because programmers and suppliers tell you so.

Ada is worse than C because

..Only Anal-retentive weenies who mumble about Quality and Professionalism
   would get any fun out of Ada

..You'd get into the habit of writing stuff like

   with MACHINE_SPECIFIC;

   procedure COUNT_BITS_AND_REVERSE
     ( THE_WORD  : in out MACHINE_SPECIFIC.WORD_TYPE,
       THE_COUNT :    out MACHINE_SPECIFIC.BIT_COUNT_TYPE
     ) is

   declare

     package BIT_OPS renames MACHINE_SPECIFIC.BIT_OPERATIONS;

   begin

     THE_COUNT := BIT_OPS.BIT_COUNT_OF(THE_WORD);
     BIT_OPS.REVERSE_BIT_ORDER_OF(THE_WORD);

   exception

     when others => raise CODE_CORRUPTED_OR_HARDWARE_ERROR;

   end COUNT_BITS_AND_REVERSE;

   which any fool can easily understand, even though it does trap some of
   the errors caused by the over-running array bounds in the C you've had
   to PRAGMA INTERFACE to, soft errors, and hardware glitches.
   Not only that, it works on 16, 32, 64, 48 etc bit machines as well. so
   can't get lost of bucks writing different versions.
   And then the compiler barfs, and tells you what you've done wrong!

..You spend a long time looking for a job, as your code on the last project
   worked so well that the project completed on time, and you were no longer
   needed.

..You spend a long time looking for a job, as the maintenance effort needed
   consisted of 2 part-timers rather than the whole development team

..You spend a long time looking for a job, as no-one uses Ada

..Getting a Clean Compile of anything non-trivial is quite difficult.

..Your Ego takes a hammering by the compiler constantly showing you where
   you made mistakes. And if not the compiler, the Linker!

FOR A SUPPLIER

..Ada programmers are rare and expensive. You can't hire cheap graduate coolies.

..It costs more initially to make a system, and it takes longer. Much worse,
   there's almost no maintenance, so your only revenue is from the initial sale.

FOR A CUSTOMER

..Because the programmers and suppliers tell you so.

That's the bottom line, people. The only people who benefit from Ada are the
customers and users. The user riding on a 777 generally doesn't know that any
programming was involved, and the customers rely on advice from their suppliers.

Until we understand that, all arguments regarding the qualities of Ada are
irrelevant.

* Re: C is 'better' than Ada because...
@ 1996-07-30  0:00 Spasmo
       [not found] ` <01bb7e29$61e3d260$87ee6fce@timpent.airshields.com>
From: Spasmo @ 1996-07-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Behrendsen (tim@airshields.com) wrote:
: system@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote in article
: <4tijip$rlo@corn.cso.niu.edu>...
: > Why are you so prejudiced against Ada?  You know next to nothing about it
: > But reading your original post you have essentially already decided what
: > Ada is.

: [bringing out the fire extinguisher]
: I'm not; my questions/statements were in response to the points raised
: by the original author.  I know nothing about Ada; it's advocates seem
: to feel that is a very good language, however.  I'm curious why it
: hasn't caught on, when it has had so much time to gain a larger
: following that it has.

Hello Tim, fancy seeing you here :).  Well I felt compelled to
jump in on this thread to respond to your point.  Firstly you
posted what you claimed were your credentials in the Quake newsgruop
and so it really surprises me that you would take the attitude
that greater popularity necessarily implies superiority.  I mean
the world is full of examples of things which are more popular
than others, but not necessarily better.  I know you like M$ so
I won't bring that up, but a wonderful point another person
brought up was MacDonald's (which I refer to as McDeath Burger).
Another good point would be to compare the number of Ford
Escorts on the road to Lamborghinis.  There are many more
Ford Escorts than Lamborghinis, but would you care to argue
that they are more numerous because they are superior?  I
hope you see the point.

I for one do think that not only is Ada a wonderful language,
but in many ways it surpassess C/C++, and this is coming from
a person who originally approached Ada with a condescending
attitude!

When I first looked at Ada, I did coding in C/C++ and loved
them both (I still do).  I saw a superficial similarity
to Pascal, scoffed and walked away.  I kept this attitude
for a long time until one day I had nothing better to do
so for reading materials I read an ancient Ada83 book.
This sparked my interest so I researched the matter
futher, and do you know what?  I think the language is
beautiful, and far more intelligently designed than
C/C++.  I mean you've got power, wonderful support for
modular programming (far superior to C/C++), ease of
use, readability (something C/C++ have almost none of),
and safety!

In any case this long ramble was meant to illustrate that
I am one example of a person who was converted to Ada95
because I genuinely believed it to be a better choice than
C/C++.

However to put it in terms that a C/C++ programmer could
instantly identify with:

	popularity != superiority

Add about 3 levels of indirection and a few infix and
postfix incrementations and you're all set :)

: -- Tim Behrendsen (tim@airshields.com)

--
Spasmo
"Everyone has secrets, but sometimes you get caught,

* Re: C is 'better' than Ada because...
@ 1996-08-01  0:00 William Clodius
From: William Clodius @ 1996-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bb7fd4$6a0f4300$87ee6fce@timpent.airshields.com> "Tim
Behrendsen" <tim@airshields.com> writes:

<snip>

   I had an [ex-]employee who wrote the slowest code on the face of
   the earth.  Because of performance problems in our application,
   I went through and analyzed his code.  The man almost never used
   pointers, and almost always used array accesses.  These algorithms
   were much more complex that the trivial examples we've been
   talking about.

   I rewrote the subroutines to use pointers, and with an eye toward
   easy optimization by the compiler.  The algorithms used were
   exactly the same; I just reworked the stylistic expression of them.
   I didn't view the assembly language output, or anything processor
   specific like that.  I simply coded things in a straightforward
   data-flow sort of way, keeping the amount of context information
   that the compiler needed at any one point in the subroutine to
   a minimum.

   I was easily able to get 3-4x performance improvements.

<snip>

This anecdote by itself says nothing. It says that you had an employee
wrote slow code and that he used arrays. Unfortunately, because you
never determined the specific sources of the inefficiencies, it does
not say that the slow code was due to the use of arrays. It could very
well be due to the misuse of arrays, in particular if he used column
major order instead of C's preferred row major order, or due to
entirely different reasons. It is possible for a knowledgeable person
to write very efficient code using arrays.
--

William B. Clodius		Phone: (505)-665-9370
Los Alamos National Laboratory	Email: wclodius@lanl.gov

* Re: C is 'better' than Ada because...
@ 1996-08-01  0:00 Tim Behrendsen
From: Tim Behrendsen @ 1996-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Byron B. Kauffman wrote:

> Tim Behrendsen wrote:
> >
> snip...
> >
> > You are probably right, if you let the optimizer handle everything.
> > But C also gives the capability to do things such as ...
> >
> > if ((array[++n] = GetValue(arg)) != 0) {
> >
> > v.s. a typical non-C language ...
> >
> > n = n + 1;
> > array[n] = GetValue(arg);
> > if (array[n] != 0) {
> > }
> >
> > Now, which is easier to optimize?  (more snip)
> >

> Tim, I'm 180 degrees out of phase from you, experience-wise. I've
> professionally done around 10klocs of Ada, and about 24 or so lines of
> C, although I sucked it up and took C++ from a local junior college last
> fall just so I can say that I did.
>
> With all that in mind, I'm going to ask (in reference to the code
> samples above), which is easier to read and/or maintain? The answer,
> from my C-ignorant perspective, is the non-C example, but a C compiler
> obviously wouldn't have a problem with it. Unfortunately, though, the
> compiler is not the one that maintains or ports the code to another
> platform. IMHO, this is where Ada has the edge over C - it was designed
> primarily with the -ilities in mind. I don't know if it is the industry
> norm, but my primary job description for years was 80% code maintenance
> and rehosting, 20% new code. It is my perception that that is what was
> eating DoD's lunch and why they commissioned Ada.

My statement above is a very common C expression; if you used it every
day, you would think nothing of it.  In fact, I could make a strong
argument that the first example is much more readable/maintainable,
because it's brief and concise.  Too much of the latter, of course, begins
to be a bad thing (take APL, for example).

I certainly don't mean to imply that maintainability isn't important;
in fact, I think it's the *most* important.  If there are significant
gains to be made in that department, then I think Ada has a chance
to succeed out of its nitch.

Having personally written in the neighborhood of 200-300 klocs of C code
(guess? could be more), I think I have a pretty good sense of how things
gets optimized.  My main point, which I think is getting lost in the
swirl of examples, is that in the real world, optimizers aren't that
smart.  Yes, you can find the "super optimizer" that does a good job when
run in "-cape" mode, but in the everyday trenches, I just don't come
across them very often.

There just is no substitute for writing code with an eye toward what
the compiler can and will do with it.

Regards,

@ 1996-08-04  0:00 @#$%!?!
From: @#$%!?! @ 1996-08-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

: Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find good examples of things
: that are difficult to optimize, because a case can always be made

It is quite easy. For any language.

There are two parts of an optimiser: (1) can I change this program?
and (2) this is how I will change the program. Part (2) is easy.
Part (1) can range from easy to provably impossible. A simple case
would be a nonFortran subroutine that has to be vectorised independently
of its caller,

	copy array A to array B is
	    for i from lwb of A to upb of A do
		copy A[i] to B[i]

Fortran requires A and B refer to distinct memory areas, so this is
immediately vectorisable. But in every other language without an alias
ban this is nonvectorisable without some additional information. The
more information the language provides, the better the optimiser can
do part (1).

If the processor has two or more add pipes, it can do two additions
for the price of one. So if you have (a+b+c+d) it can be two thirds
as fast to compute ((a+b)+(c+d)) instead of (((a+b)+c)+d). However
addition does not reassociate in Fortran or C, so the optimiser is
prevented from reparenthesising. The fewer constraints the language
imposes, the better the optimiser can do part (1).

--
In mirrored maze he met the Mother,        | smryan@netcom.com  PO Box 1563
the lost and breathless, lonely brother.   |          Cupertino, California

[parent not found: <Pine.GSO.>]