From: Chad Bremmon <chad.bremmon@comm.hq.af.mil>
Subject: Re: Real Life Ada
Date: 1996/08/05
Date: 1996-08-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Kenneth Mays wrote:

> Gretings,
>
> Well I have a comment about college and learning Ada.
>
> 1.) Get an idea of who you want to work for in the future.
> Lockheed-Martin, Northrop, or Ada Technologies? get a clear picture
> of the skills required and the courses that will help you "fit"
> within that job.

If any person goes to college to "learn a language," they need their head examined.  I personally
never took a course on a "language" in college.  I was expected to use several languages in what I
turned it, but the course was not on the language.

Ada is a good teaching language.  Because of it's strong typing and abstract data type capabilities,
it helps the student learn right from wrong as a part of the learning experience.

> 2.) College is to introduce you to concepts used in the real world -
> or should I be bold enough to say theories!!! They don't always work.
> If your a scientist or engineer (or both) nothing beats taking math
> courses and physics. Many computer science people started off as
> physics majors or math majors and then switched to computers. This is
> not always the case since some of the most creative programmers are
> graphics designers or musicians. This is just something to think
> about. John Madden isn't a programmer but he sure sponsors some great
> computer football games!!
>
> 3.) About Ada, I don't believe you should take Pascal or Data
> structures using Pascal to know Ada. If you want to know Ada, then
> learn Ada - period. If you want to know C++, you don't take COBOL
> programming courses - do you? Does everyone REALLY know assembly or
> took assembly courses (I did)? Focuses your skills on the language
> you want to use in the "real world" and don't waste your time and
> money on programming languages you don't have an interest in. No one
> language is the best choice in all situations.
>
> Question? Why in the heck do they teach Pascal or Data Structures?
> Does that make you a better programmer when you have to write in C
> ???

Yes it does!!  If it doesn't, you were paying more to the syntax than to the sematics of what you
were learning.