From: Chad Bremmon <chad.bremmon@comm.hq.af.mil>
Subject: Re: Ada Foundation Classes
Date: 1996/08/05
Date: 1996-08-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Dave Wood wrote:

> Dale Pontius wrote:
> >
> > In article <31FE15A6.53A@comm.hq.af.mil>,
> >         Chad Bremmon <chad.bremmon@comm.hq.af.mil> writes:
> > >
> > >I would like to get started on some work with
> > >Portable Ada Foundation Classes.  If any of you
> > >have looked at the WWW site, you know it hasn't
> > >been updated for a while.
> > >
> > The name Ada Foundation Class kind of smacks of Microsoft
> > Foundation Class. There are a couple of points about this...
>
> I agree that a different name would be more
> appropriate.  We are providing a binding to
> MFC as part of the ObjectAda for Windows
> product line, under the name Ada Foundation
> Classes.  The notion of "Foundation Classes"
> is pretty tightly tied to Windows and MFC in
> particular, and especially bring to mind C++.
>
> You need something more generic, like
> Canonical Ada Classes (CAC).

I highly doubt that "Foundation Classes" is a trademark of Microsoft.  Object Oriented also brings
to mind C++ for most people.  That doesn't mean Ada can't have foundation classes.  Nor does it mean
they have to match Microsoft's.  I might suggest that your name should be something more specific
like "Microsoft Foundation Classes for Ada."