From: Steve O'Neill <smoneill@sanders.lockheed.com>
Subject: Re: Adriane crash
Date: 1996/07/25
Date: 1996-07-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Jerry van Dijk wrote:

> Dutch videotext had a topic this evening that said that ESA found that the
> Adriana-5 lauch failed because the software of its guidance systems was
> accidentally replaced by the Adriane-4 version.

Close, but not quite. Based on my read of the report:

Ariane 4 & 5 use the same inertial measurement units and it appears that they did
not fully analyze the effect of the Ariane 5's flight characteristics against
these units.  Also, both Arianes 4 and 5 use dual redundant units which are,
unfortunately, identical in both hardware and software.  The result was that
higher (but acceptable for Ariane 5) acceleration levels caused a conversion
operation to overflow, an exception was raised, and both units completely shut
down leaving the flight control software with no navigation data!  It also
appeared from the report that the flight control software interpreted bogus data
as good and as a result commanded the engine nozzles to full deflection resulting
in the aerodynamic destruction of the vehicle.

On some really sad notes 1) the software that experienced the overflow had not
real value during that phase of flight and should have been disabled, 2) the
decision not to protect the conversion from overflow was influenced by a
requirement for a max of 80% processor utilization, and 3) the units were
_required_ to shut down as a result of any exception (rather than make the best of
it and continue in a degraded mode, if possible) on the assumption that it was
caused by a hardware failure.  Does the phrase 'penny wise, pound foolish' apply
here?

So, lots of intertwined assumptions, mistakes, etc. led to this failure but
definitely an avoidable problem.

--
Steve O'Neill                      | "No,no,no, don't tug on that!
Sanders, A Lockheed Martin Company |  You never know what it might