From: "Alf P. Steinbach" <alfps@online.no>
Subject: Re: WHERE ARE ALL THE OT EXPERTS???
Date: 1996/07/25
Date: 1996-07-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Thaddeus L. Olczyk wrote:

> bbum@friday.com wrote:
> >         BTW:  CRC has classically been known as a Cyclic-Redundancy Check.  A
> > very simple algorithm for validating data... If someone recycled it into an
> > OT term, then someone is coming from a point of ignorance (its not like CRC
> > related technologies are either obsolete or uncommon).
> Yes, but CRC also stands for class-responsibility-collaborator.
> I also wouldn't call CRC a simple algorithm as it is defined
> as the remainder of a Z(2) polynomial (the string to be hashed ) mod
> a fixed prime Z(2) polynomial.

This is reminiscent of ObjectMagazine, a trash publication I
unfortunately thought looked interesting enough to buy.  First, CRC
*is* a simple algorithm  --  there's nothing complicated in modulo
division (I remember we had to implement the CRC algorithm as one
of our assignments in a fundamental programming course back in
1982 or thereabouts).  Second, I believe only managers are interested
in "Class-Responsibility-Collaborator" cards  --  fancy acronym, which
they can impress other (low-level) managers with, but (1) it's so
trivial as to be completely useless, and (2) it's *worse* than useless
because it's a completely action-centered approach.  Urgh.

- Alf