From: Jan Wuyts <wuytsj@rsd.bel.alcatel.be>
Subject: Re: HOOD?
Date: 1996/07/04
Date: 1996-07-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Franz Kruse wrote:

> What is the general opinion of the Ada community about HOOD as a design method?
>
> Franz Kruse
Just like John Mc Cabe I can only speak for myself...

I think it all boils down to the TOOL you use in support of your
methodology.
In my early days of Columbus, when we were sort of forced to use
the HSF tool (I my mind about the worsed tool I've ever seen) I
wasn't in favour of the method most likey because I hated the tool.

Nowadays, we use the 'stood' tool from TNI (Bretagne) and I see
no reason anymore to dislike the method.  The tool helps you
every step of the way.  It helps you to generate your design
documentation (As you know there is a lot of that), It helps you
to keep your CODE inline with your DESIGN.

There are however a few remarks to be made about the method itself.
It is quite easy to break down the problem into smaller 'objects'.
In a natural way of breaking down of the problem you end up with
A LOT of 'buffer' objects.  These get automatically translated into
'Ada tasks' since they are Active objects.  As a result, you get a
piece of SW with A LOT of simple tasks and your performance goes down
the tubes.  If you take that aspect into account when you start your
design work and break it down in such a way that you avoid the
unnecessary buffer tasks then there is nothing against this
HOOD method.

Cheers
--
      Jan Wuyts (RS34)                  \     ^     /