From: Wayne Lawton <wlawton@servtech.com>
Subject: Re: Security
Date: 1996/05/15
Date: 1996-05-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Theodore E. Dennison wrote:

> Frank Cheung wrote:
> >
> > I have written a program in Ada83, and would like to provide some security
> > features to it:
> >
> > (1) the user should not be able to exit using ctrl-d, ctrl-z, etc.
> > (2) password access to enter and exit the program.
> >
> > Are there any routines or packages available to do this?  Thank you very
> > much in advance.
> >

> In Ada? No. Bundled with your compiler? Probably.

Actually, there is such a package.  I wrote a security package a few
years ago for an Army system called MPMIS.  I have since been told that
a version of the package found its way into the Army Reuse Center
repository.

If that version isn't right, you may take a look at an Air Force system
called the Combat Ammunition System (CAS).

I would recommend the CAS version as being the more mature.

The algorithm uses a database to pass "I called/I was called by"
information between modules in the system.  The package supports
multi-level security based on the UNIX model.  That is users and groups
of users have no access, read access, or execute access to a particular
module in the system.  The package does require a database to support
the tables.  The package supports encryption of the userids and
passwords.

The package has been implemented in a multiple executable environment,
as well as a multi-thread cooperative processing environment.

Hope one of these pointers helps...

Wayne Lawton
WLawton@servtech.com