From: "Theodore E. Dennison" <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com>
Subject: Re: Common Error/Exception Handler
Date: 1996/05/10
Date: 1996-05-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

John English wrote:

> Theodore E. Dennison (dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com) wrote:
> : To be honest, I'm suprised more compilers or linkers don't offer an
> : option to produce a stack dump (although core dumps can be pretty
> : useful too).
>
> One of the things that really annoys me about GNAT is the ubiquitous
> "raised unhandled exception" message.  A bit more detail (exception
> name as a minimum, file name & source line number preferably) would
> make life *sooo* much easier...

I'll allow the annoyance, but don't single out GNAT. It truly annoys
me that I have to methodically add the following chunk of code to the
outer body of EVERY task and main routine I ever write under any VADS
compiler:

   exception
      when others =>
         V_I_Except.Exception_Current (ID => Exception_ID, PC => Exception_PC);

         Text_IO.Put_Line (Time_Stamp & ":" & Unit_Name & " terminating due to");
         Text_IO.Put_Line ("unhandled exception " &
            V_I_Except.Exception_Name (Exception_ID) & " raised at PC " &
            Unsigned_Types.Unsigned_Integer'Image
               (To_Unsigned_Integer(Exception_PC))
            );

      raise;

If I have to write this same chunk of code ONE MORE TIME I think I'll add it to the
emacs-ada bindings!!! (Its more constructive than simply puking).

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |