From: Ken Garlington <garlingtonke@lmtas.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Can OO be successful in real-time embedded systems?
Date: 1996/05/10
Date: 1996-05-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert A Duff wrote:

> The definition of pragma Reviewable is pretty vague.  We'll have to rely
> on people who really care about this pragma, to admonish vendors to
> produce useful information.

True, and I don't expect each vendor will implement this pragma consistently.
It would be nice if everyone used an ASIS-type convention, but it's not clear to
me if that's reasonable for this kind of information.

Nonetheless, at least there is now some sort of common starting point for this
capability, so that I don't have to explain the basic idea to each vendor.
Since there are existing examples of this capability (e.g., Tartan's AdaList),
I'd hope that it will be easy to get such information from future toolsets.

> Dispatching calls are like case statements, except that the case
> branches are open-ended.  One just needs to take that open-endedness
> into account.

I assume you mean "open-ended" at the source level, not the object code level.
For any given compilation, I assume that object code analysis will be capable
of determining the number of cases that really exist, at least for the approach
that most vendors will take.

> The SS annex is very much UNDER-kill, and intentionally so.  If you say,
> "my program obeys the SS annex, and therefore can be used safely", I'll
> think you're a crackpot.  If you say, "my program uses the SS annex
> (among other things) to ensure safety", then I'll take it more
> seriously.

Absolutely. I don't see the annex as that difficult a challenge (except for
the interpretation of some of the pragma Restrictions issues, as has been
discussed before).

--
LMTAS - "Our Brand Means Quality"