* Hybrid Ada-Fortran Programming on Pentium Box ???
@ 1996-04-25  0:00 David Smith
From: David Smith @ 1996-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a hybrid program consisting of both Ada-83 and Fortran-77 elements.
This program has previously been compiled and linked on both DEC (open
VMS) and SGI equipment. We wish to port to a Pentium box, preferrably
running Windows NT. Is there an Ada compiler that is compatible with
PowerStation Fortran? The Ada FAQ doesn't address this topic.

* Re: Hybrid Ada-Fortran Programming on Pentium Box ???
@ 1996-04-25  0:00 ` Theodore E. Dennison
From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1996-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Smith wrote:

> I have a hybrid program consisting of both Ada-83 and Fortran-77 elements.
> This program has previously been compiled and linked on both DEC (open
> VMS) and SGI equipment. We wish to port to a Pentium box, preferrably
> running Windows NT. Is there an Ada compiler that is compatible with
> PowerStation Fortran? The Ada FAQ doesn't address this topic.

It depends on the linker that your Fortran compiler uses. Most NT Ada
compilers use Microsoft C++'s linker (Rational VADS and Alsys are two
examples). If your Fortran compiler produces object files that are
compatable with Microsoft's linker, you're in business.

On the other hand, I believe GNAT uses its own (actually, gcc's) linker.
This would probably make it compatable with any gcc-Fortran port to NT,
if there is such a thing.

One extra word of advice; I suggest starting the NT port from the SGI
version, not the VMS version. In my experience, NT's internals are a
lot closer to UNIX's internals than to VMS's.
--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |