From: banderso@sagpd1.UUCP (Bruce Anderson)
Subject: Case insensitivity
Date: 19 Feb 89 06:41:58 GMT	[thread overview]

As background, I work for a company which uses C primarily but since
we do work for the government we are in the process of being forced to
switch over to Ada. I do not currently work on a project which uses Ada
but I have been somewhat interested in the language at least to the
point of taking a class in it (unfortunately the worst technical
course I have taken in my life but that's another story). I try to
read this group somewhat regularly to garner whatever I can from it
so basically I am a novice (at best) at the language.

Given that, one of the things which I dislike the most about the language
is its case-insensitivity and although I hadn't given it much thought
I guess I had assumed that this was likely to be a somewhat common
opinion. In a recent article however, the author made a comment which
indicated that he felt that it was stupid to have a case-sensitive
language.

My question is, does everyone think that the case-insensitivity of
Ada is a positive feature and if so why? Personally, if I see a
variable 'aBcDe' and another one 'AbCdE' they don't immediately strike
me as being the same and is therefore confusing when they are.

Bruce Anderson - Scientific Atlanta, Government Products Division
...!sagpd1!banderso