* Re: GNAT R/T Annex and Win95
@ 1996-04-19  0:00 Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1996-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <dewar@CS.NYU.EDU> writes:

>Ada 95 does not require run-till-blocked semantics unless the RT annex
>is supported fully. Not all OS's can support the real time annex, and
>clearly GNAT on such a system does not support the annex (this is
>assuming tasks are mapped to threads). On NT, you can map to the
>real time threads, and all is well, but I don't know if this applies
>to Win95. Anyway, Greg, you are making undocumented assjmptions here!

    Here's an interesting question which we've been thinking about
    around here a lot:

    Do you consider Windows NT capable of being a "realtime" operating
    system? (It doesn't seem to be advertised as such.... yet.)

    We'd like to build some of our data systems and ground support
    systems around Ada and NT, but we're not sure we can get the
    needed behavior out of it for a realtime system. (GNAT might even
    be usable here since most of this is "in house" development and
    not a contract deliverable. More leeway with what you do in this
    case.)

    We need to know things like "If I execute a delay statement, will
    I wake up and have a deterministic span of time between the clock
    going off and my code resuming?" Similar questions for interrupt
    processing and such. Or "will the OS dynamically rescale my task
    priorities and screw everything up?" Or priority inversions that
    can occur if a low priority thread uses an uninterruptable OS
    routine. Lots of things are uncertain about NT WRT its use as a
    realtime OS.

    (Of course, you can always buy a processor that executes a
    quintillion instructions per second and hope the latencies never
    get big enough to matter! ;-)

    Opinions? I'd really like to have some best guesses to pass on to
    the folks here who do these sort of systems.

    Pax,
    Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        407.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
    "You spend a billion here and a billion there. Sooner or later it
    adds up to real money."

        --  Everett Dirksen