* Ada is Ouchless
@ 1996-04-13  0:00 Daniel Grambihler
From: Daniel Grambihler @ 1996-04-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been following this newsgroup for the past few months.
Having read the various discussions and wars, it seems that the
recurring theme (aside from some personal nonsense) is design
vs implementation. It appears that the base goal of Ada is to
promote good design at the coding implementation level - a sort
of bandaid to cover the lack of higher level design that seems to pervaid
the software industry. It also seems to be succeeding in this goal.

Given that the specification and requirements level of software development
is still in a fairly sorry state, what types of inroads are being
made toward improving *those* areas? And please don't respond with OOD -
that's still an implementation issue.

Thanks - Daniel

----
Daniel Grambihler
danielg@eskimo.com
--
Daniel Grambihler
danielg@eskimo.com

* Re: Ada is Ouchless
@ 1996-04-13  0:00 ` Tore Joergensen
From: Tore Joergensen @ 1996-04-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Grambihler (danielg@eskimo.com) wrote:
: Given that the specification and requirements level of software development
: is still in a fairly sorry state, what types of inroads are being
: made toward improving *those* areas? And please don't respond with OOD -
: that's still an implementation issue.

I can't answer your question :-), but I would recommend you and everybody
else to have a look at ColorWorks 2.0 for OS/2 (if you are able to do
it without paying an arm and a leg of course). It is an image-editor,
but it is somewhat different from PhotoShop, PicturePublisher and other
image-editors I've tried. The result is a program which flexibility
never stops amazing me. It seems like everything can be combined with
everything else to make a never ending list of creative effects.
Well, enough claptrap :-). If you have access to an OS/2 system, visit
http://www.spg-net.com/ for a free demo and several .inf files. If nothing
else, it is at least an example of a very well designed program.
--
+-------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
| Tore B. Joergensen      | e-mail : tore@lis.pitt.edu                |

* Re: Ada is Ouchless
@ 1996-04-15  0:00 ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 1996-04-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Grambihler wrote:

> Given that the specification and requirements level of software development
> is still in a fairly sorry state, what types of inroads are being
> made toward improving *those* areas?

Some of the things that are floating around:

1. New processes (e.g. CoRE from SPC)

2. New(er) tools (RTM, DOORS)

3. New standards (and I forget the specifics, but there is a group working on
new system engineering standards, that should help software.)