* Annoucement :  C2ada for OS/2 !!
@ 1996-04-03  0:00
From:  @ 1996-04-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am very proud (:-) to be able to announce that starting right now,
you will be able to pick up an OS/2 version of c2ada !!

BTW: To quote the GNAT OS/2 thread " I put my money where my mouth is !"
     at least sometimes (:-).

The port involved quite a bit more than just recompiling, so don't
bash on me if there still some OS/2 specific bugs left.

C2adaos2.zip can be found at :

	http://www.pitt.edu/~tojst1/adaos2/c2ada.html.

Europeans please note that I will try to upload c2adaos2.zip to
 ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/os2 in the next few days.

C2adaos2 has adapted to the emx/gcc environnement, as I have included
three commonly used keywords to the list of recognized c-keywords.
They are __inline__, __const__, __volatile__ . I will look into
adding __attribute and __noreturn__ , but I don't know where yet.

I also changed the path c2ada scans to find include files to
/emx/include. This should suit most emx/gcc user !

( Just came to my mind that there is room for one improvement here (:-) )

All of this should make translating emx/gcc include files a lot
easier for you.

Please DO read the included README.TXT files.  Thanks !
You can expect to see some improvement on the documentation and program
during the next couple of weeks, so please check regularly.
FYI: Tore is currently working on an *.inf file.

I you have a serious problem with c2adaos2, please send me a note.
I would like not to bother with the usual install problems stuff (:-).

Have a lots of fun,

Ralph Paul

	ralph@ifr.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de

* Re: Annoucement :  C2ada for OS/2 !!
@ 1996-04-05  0:00 ` Dale Pontius
From: Dale Pontius @ 1996-04-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4ju53n$3o74@info4.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>,
           ralph@ifr.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de (Ralph Paul) writes:

>I am very proud (:-) to be able to announce that starting right now,
>you will be able to pick up an OS/2 version of c2ada !!

I finally had a chance to try this puppy out last night and...

How do you resolve emx runtimes between c2ada (0.9b) and GNAT (0.9a)?

Do you use path trickery, a wrapper file, or will emx0.9a run with
the emx0.9b runtime .DLL? (This is also here as a hint for others
trying OS/2 c2ada.)

When GNAT 3.04, based on ems 0.9b, comes out this question will become
moot.

Thanks,
Dale Pontius
(NOT speaking for IBM)

* Re: Annoucement :  C2ada for OS/2 !!
@ 1996-04-05  0:00   ` Theodore E. Dennison
From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1996-04-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dale Pontius wrote:

> In article <4ju53n$3o74@info4.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>,
>            ralph@ifr.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de (Ralph Paul) writes:
> >
> >I am very proud (:-) to be able to announce that starting right now,
> >you will be able to pick up an OS/2 version of c2ada !!
> >
> I finally had a chance to try this puppy out last night and...
>
> How do you resolve emx runtimes between c2ada (0.9b) and GNAT (0.9a)?

When I posted my question several weeks ago about getting GNAT to
run with a recent version of emacs (which uses 0.9b), I got two
e-mails sent to my home account detailing how to do this.

Unfortunately, a bug in my home POP-mail utility toasted the text
of both messages, so I can't post it here. But this seems like a
good place and time to request that the two kind folks I mentioned
please repeat here what they told me in e-mail earlier.

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |

* Re: Annoucement :  C2ada for OS/2 !!
@ 1996-04-08  0:00 ` Theodore E. Dennison
From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1996-04-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dale Pontius wrote:

> In article <3169240A.41C67EA6@escmail.orl.mmc.com>,
>         "Theodore E. Dennison" <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com> writes:
> >
> >Well, if you just try to use emx-0.9b, some Ada programs will no
> >longer link, so there was more to it than this. Are you saying that
> Hopefully I'm not saying something too obvious, here.
>
> 1: Get the emx 0.9b runtime, install to a separate place from
>    the emx 0.9a installation used for GNAT.
>
> 2: Decide whether you use more emx 0.9a or 0.9b software. In
>    other words, which do you want to 'wrap'. (the less common)

It is my understanding that emacs spawns off processes to do lots
of its work (including compiling). To get this to work, one would
have to figure out which set of environment variables emacs'
subprocesses will get and make the "default" decision accordingly.
Then one might have to modify the lisp source for emacs's ada-mode
to use the "wrapped" command file for all the GNAT executables,
instead of the defaults.

--

@ 1996-04-08  0:00     `
From:  @ 1996-04-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Theodore E. Dennison" <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, a bug in my home POP-mail utility toasted the text
> of both messages, so I can't post it here. But this seems like a
> good place and time to request that the two kind folks I mentioned
> please repeat here what they told me in e-mail earlier.
>

> --
> T.E.D.
>                 |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |
>                 |  Home - mailto:dennison@iag.net              |
>                 |  URL  - http://www.iag.net/~dennison         |

Hi,

try  mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de that is the author of
emx/gcc/emacs/emtex . I think he was the one you gave the advice.
If I remember correctly he said that all you needed to do was to
install the new emx-runtime ( emxrt.zip). Is this correct Ted ?

BTW: Did you get an error message complaining about the emx0.9a
runtime ?

Regards,

From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1996-04-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ralph Paul wrote:

> "Theodore E. Dennison" <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, a bug in my home POP-mail utility toasted the text
> > of both messages, so I can't post it here. But this seems like a
> > good place and time to request that the two kind folks I mentioned
> > please repeat here what they told me in e-mail earlier.
> try  mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de that is the author of
> emx/gcc/emacs/emtex . I think he was the one you gave the advice.

One of the two responses I got was from a germanic site as I recall.

> If I remember correctly he said that all you needed to do was to
> install the new emx-runtime ( emxrt.zip). Is this correct Ted ?

Well, if you just try to use emx-0.9b, some Ada programs will no
longer link, so there was more to it than this. Are you saying that
the solution was to use the gnat's emx0.9a development, with the
emx0.9b "runtime" installed on top?

> BTW: Did you get an error message complaining about the emx0.9a
> runtime ?

From memory, what happened was:
  o  I installed the latest (3.01) version of GNAT for OS/2, with
     the limited emx0.9a distribution available at that same site.

  o  I installed the latest (19.30) version of emacs for OS/2. The
     installation procedure complained that emx0.9b is required, and
     bailed out.

  o  I uninstalled emx0.9a (and GNAT), downloaded and installed emx0.9b.

  o  I installed emacs. This time the procedure worked, and emacs
     worked.

  o  I reinstalled the latest version of GNAT, and some of the
     examples would no longer link.

  o  After several further hours of tinkering, I discovered that you
     have to go back to a pre-19.28 version of emacs, before it will
     work with GNAT's emx. For those of you who are keeping score,
     the emacs-ada lisp bindings require modification to work with such
     an early version of emacs.

(if you have 8 hours or so to blow, feel free to try this at home
yourself).

--

@ 1996-04-08  0:00 ` Dale Pontius
From: Dale Pontius @ 1996-04-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3169240A.41C67EA6@escmail.orl.mmc.com>,
        "Theodore E. Dennison" <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com> writes:

>Well, if you just try to use emx-0.9b, some Ada programs will no
>longer link, so there was more to it than this. Are you saying that
>the solution was to use the gnat's emx0.9a development, with the
>emx0.9b "runtime" installed on top?

Hopefully I'm not saying something too obvious, here.

1: Get the emx 0.9b runtime, install to a separate place from
   the emx 0.9a installation used for GNAT.

2: Decide whether you use more emx 0.9a or 0.9b software. In
   other words, which do you want to 'wrap'. (the less common)

3: Make sure your LIBPATH points to the more common emx runtime.

4: Build a .CMD file corresponding to each program that uses the
   less common emx runtime, and make sure the .CMD files are
   earlier in your PATH. The .CMD files simple have:
   Set BeginLibPath=<location of less common emx runtime .DLL>;
   and a full-path invocation of the original program.

5: Make sure any program objects you have laying around point
   to the .CMD file, not the original program.

By the time you get all of this done for all necessary programs,
the next version of GNAT, based on emx 0.9b, will be out and you
can delete all of the 0.9a stuff, anyway.

Dale Pontius
(NOT speaking for IBM)