From: "James A. Squire" <m193884@CSEHP3.MDC.COM>
Subject: Re: type casting tagged types in the wrong direction
Date: 1996/03/29
Date: 1996-03-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar <dewar@CS.NYU.EDU> wrote:

> You realize wrong! GNAT was the first general purpose Ada 95 compiler
> to be validated. We validated on the floor at Tri-Ada 96, and are now
> the proud owners of ACVC 2.0 validation certificates numbers 2, 3 and
> 4. These validations were for SGI machines, but we expect many othr
> GNAT validations in the future.

So the one at ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/ is validated?  The ones you
mention above are commercially available from SGI.

> Of course validation does not ensure 100% compliance, so it is by no

Perhaps I am a virgin, but I don't see how a compiler passes validation
without properly giving an error message.  Tucker Taft mentioned
something about needing a new ACVC test.  Sounds to me like the
validation suite ain't quite up to snuff yet.  Of course, that's true
anyway since there is no such thing yet as full validation anyway.
There won't be until a year from now (ACVC 2.1 is what is needed for
full validation).

> means amazing to find a bug, but in fact this particular bug is
> certainly fixed now (I don't know when exactly it was fixed), and
> we now get a nice error message.

What do you mean by "now"?  It is not fixed in 3.03 (which is what I am
running), and according to the above mentioned ftp site this is still
the latest version, so it is most certainly not fixed "now".
--
James Squire
MDA Avionics Tools & Processes