From: Ted Dennison <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com>
Subject: Re: 'cheap Ada compilers', was Re: GNAT 3.03 for OS/2
Date: 1996/03/28
Date: 1996-03-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

tmoran@bix.com wrote:

> >In the commercial world, you would have to pay whatever the
> >"support" fee is for a yearly update.  That would typically run you
> >around a grand.
>   I haven't been to the local Egghead lately - is a grand a year
> what Borland and Microsoft are charging for C++ or Visual Basic
> these days?  I just got an Alsys ad in the mail for three ActivAda
> products at $99, $595, and $995.  Does their 'optional subscription
> plan' for these cost $1K?  As I recall RR's one year support with

Uhhh, I just posted that information yesterday.

Let's see if I can find it.....
...ah! Here it is:

Ted Dennison wrote:

>$1,200 a year is about what support for most commercial development
>environments runs. An example from a study we did about 1.5 years
>ago showed the following support prices:
> For Ada compilers
>   VADSSELF HP 9000     $1,356 /year/user
>   VADSSELF Windows NT  $1,000 /year/user
>   AdaWorld HP 9000     $1,600 /year 1 user (price per user goes down
>                                             as more users are added)
>   AdaWorld NT          $600 /year/user

As you can tell from the other prices listed, this is very competitive,
but still approaching the $1000 range.

As for any "subscription" plan, I don't see where that can be an issue,
because no matter what the price of this plan, gnat updates are cheaper.

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |