From: Jack Beidler <beidler@cs.uofs.edu>
Cc: beidler, sidbury, plishka
Subject: Setting Up GCC and GNAT under Windows '95
Date: 1996/03/26
Date: 1996-03-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Let me begin by saying that I am a real novice to Windows '95, but
have substantial experience with DOS/Win 3.1, SunOS, and Linux.  Here
is my problem.  I want to put the 32 bit version of the GNAT Ada
compiler and the GNU C++ system on Windows '95 on my system "THE
RIGHT WAY", what ever that means.  To me it means I want to take
full advantage of the GUI (drag-and-drop, point-and-click) to
edit, compile, link, and run programs written in Ada 95 and C++
using the GNU/GNAT software.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who is working with either
GNU or GNAT under Windows '95.  Please email me directly because
my news feed is over a week late and drops lots of messages.
What I am looking for are two things.  The first series of questions
is about how you set up the environment, the second is how you use it.
I will send a copy of the results of this survey, with observations,
suggestions, and recommendations to all those who participate.

1.  How did you interface the GNU/GNAT system to Windows '95?  That is:
    a.  After loading the system how did you execute the SETPATH?
    b.  How did you link the execution of the compiler, linker, etc. to
        source files in the langauge?

2.  With respect to software development?
    a.  Which editor/word processor do you use to edit programs?
    b.  What is your preferred method of invoking the editor?
    c.  What is your preferred method of invoking the compiler?
    d.  What is your preferred method of invoking the linker?
    e.  How do you handle the passing of options to the compiler/linker?
    f.  What is your preferred method of running a program?

3.  On a grade of 1 (poor) to 10 (great) how would you rate your
    satisfatcion with the approach you took.

    Comments:

I plan to do a similar survey for Windows NT in the near future.

Please email your respnse to me because of my poor news service.

Thanks in advance

Jack
--
John (Jack) Beidler, Professor               mailto:beidler@uofs.edu
Dept. of Computing Sciences         717-343-7446(-7774)(-4250 [fax])