* GNAT in Windows'95 Difficulty
@ 1996-03-24  0:00 Jack Beidler
From: Jack Beidler @ 1996-03-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am having trouble getting GNAT to run in Windows '95.  The problem
is my lack of experience with Windows '95, not with GNAT.  I have
only had Windows '95 up for about a week (along with Win NT -- no
problems there), so my problem is my lack of experience with the
Win 95 and I would appreciate any help.

After loading the Win '95/Win NT version on my machine, when I
click the SETPATH before trying anything with GNAT, I get an
"out of environment space" message.  ANyone out there who
can tell me how to increase the environmnent space so I can
move on and work with GNAT in WIN 95?

Please email a copy of your reply, since my email service is
usually 5 to 9 days out of date.

Thanks in advance.

Jack
--
John (Jack) Beidler, Professor               mailto:beidler@uofs.edu
Dept. of Computing Sciences         717-343-7446(-7774)(-4250 [fax])
|  and follow the crowd over the cliff and into the C

* Re: GNAT in Windows'95 Difficulty
@ 1996-03-26  0:00 ` David Shochat
From: David Shochat @ 1996-03-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <315610E6.2270@cs.uofs.edu> Jack Beidler
<beidler@cs.uofs.edu> writes:

[snip]
    Jack> After loading the Win '95/Win NT version on my machine, when
    Jack> I click the SETPATH before trying anything with GNAT, I get
    Jack> an "out of environment space" message.  ANyone out there who
    Jack> can tell me how to increase the environmnent space so I can
    Jack> move on and work with GNAT in WIN 95?

This happened to me too.
Go via Explorer to c:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, right mouse on
MS-DOS Prompt, choose "Properties". On the memory tab, there's
a popup called "Initial Environment". Choose 1024.
--
David Shochat
dshochat@logicon.com  shochat@roosevelt.logicon.com

* Re: GNAT in Windows'95 Difficulty (setting environment space)
@ 1996-03-26  0:00 ` Tom Griest
From: Tom Griest @ 1996-03-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: beidler

Jack Beidler <beidler@cs.uofs.edu> writes:

[snip]

>The problem is my lack of experience with Windows '95, not with GNAT.

Thanks for clarifying.  Some folks get the wrong idea when they see
subjects indicating problems with GNAT.  Still, we are working at
trying to make it as automatic as possible to use GNAT on Win95,
because the people using Win95 like things to work without
it being necessary to read instructions.  That is our goal.

[snip]

>After loading the Win '95/Win NT version on my machine, when I
>click the SETPATH before trying anything with GNAT, I get an
>"out of environment space" message.

Here is a solution:

-Tom

To increase the environment space allocated to a command window in Win95:

You can change either the properties of the "command.com" program
or any shortcut to that program.  The following tells you how to do it
to the command.com program:

Right click on start button.  Click on "explore".

Using the explorer, navigate to the windows directory (normally c:\windows)
and right-click on "command.com" in the right pane.  Click "properties".

Select the "Memory" tab and in the drop down box under "Initial Environment"
choose a size of at least 1024 bytes.