* gnat compiling error
@ 1996-03-22  0:00 nobody
From: nobody @ 1996-03-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if any one can help me.  I am trying to get gnat 3.01a for
win95 to compile.  After using gnatmake file.adb (or gcc -c file.adb (works)
and gnatbl file.ali (crashes)) I reciece an error when the program calls
ld.exe.  It returns a message saying c:\gnat301a\gnu_ld\ld.exe  cannot find
file or path -lgcc .  I recieved this message using the dos version, but was
able to compile when I used an older version for dos from a friend (sorry
don't know the versions for either dos).  If someone has had this problem and
knows how to fix it I would be most thankful.
thanks...bill

p.s.  the only thing that I did to run the win95 gnat was to run the setup and
then run setpath.bat from a dos prompt and compiled (tried) from the same dos
prompt.

* Re: gnat compiling error
@ 1996-03-22  0:00 ` Tom Griest
From: Tom Griest @ 1996-03-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4itoro$kih@mother.usf.edu> nobody@nowhere writes:
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmmmm.  I wonder if this is just a spoof....

>I was wondering if any one can help me.  I am trying to get gnat 3.01a for
>win95 to compile.  After using gnatmake file.adb (or gcc -c file.adb (works)
>and gnatbl file.ali (crashes)) I reciece an error when the program calls
>ld.exe.  It returns a message saying c:\gnat301a\gnu_ld\ld.exe  cannot find
>file or path -lgcc .

First of all, make sure you apply the two updates that can be found
in ftp.cs.yale.edu/pub/gnat/updates/gnat301a or on the nyu site.

(If you want to be automatically notified when updates come out, let
me know and I'll put you on the list to recieve  GNAT/Win32 NEWS)

Secondly, you can see more about what is going on by using the -v switch
with gnatmake.  In this case, you are interested in linker related problems,
so you want to pass "-v" as a linker argument:

   gnatmake file -largs -v

Make sure that you don't have a file called "specs" in your current directory
that would override the normal specs file used by gcc.

If these three suggestions don't clear up your problem, send me email
and we can make sure it is not a problem with our installer.

Tom Griest
LabTek Corp.

* Re: gnat compiling error
@ 1996-03-23  0:00 ` Mike Young
From: Mike Young @ 1996-03-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody

nobody@nowhere wrote:

> I was wondering if any one can help me.  I am trying to get gnat 3.01a for
> win95 to compile.  After using gnatmake file.adb (or gcc -c file.adb (works)
> and gnatbl file.ali (crashes)) I reciece an error when the program calls
> ld.exe.  It returns a message saying c:\gnat301a\gnu_ld\ld.exe  cannot find
> file or path -lgcc .  I recieved this message using the dos version, but was
> able to compile when I used an older version for dos from a friend (sorry
> don't know the versions for either dos).  If someone has had this problem and
> knows how to fix it I would be most thankful.
> thanks...bill

==========
Hmmm, yes, I remember this problem. There's a macro definition missing
in the makefile; I forget which one. Or was it an environment variable
in a batch file? Which ever... Search the file for -lgcc, find out what
macro precedes that, and define it. It should be apparent from looking
at the command what it needs there.

Mike.

* Re: gnat compiling error
@ 1996-03-25  0:00 Bob Crispen
From: Bob Crispen @ 1996-03-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

nobody@NOWHERE.AMERICAN.EDU asks:

>I was wondering if any one can help me.  I am trying to get gnat 3.01a for
>win95 to compile.
[snip]
>p.s.  the only thing that I did to run the win95 gnat was to run the setup and
>then run setpath.bat from a dos prompt and compiled (tried) from the same dos
>prompt.

Are you sure you didn't get an error message from setpath.bat?  On my
machine I had to edit the PATH line to put double quotes around the
whole string -- if you've got a long filename with embedded spaces,
as for example "Program Files", you've got to have the quotes.

I'm responding here to an anonymous poster (and, btw, Mr. Nobody, the
likelihood of getting help from folks on Usenet when you don't use your
name varies between slim and none) because I think that not everyone who
uses gnat has my advanced state of Win95/DOS knowledge (which I
characterize as being one small but extremely important step above
butt ignorant).  Putting the double quotes in the PATH line is harmless
if there are no embedded spaces and avoids an error when there are.

Bob Crispen
revbob@eight-ball.hv.boeing.com
Speaking for myself, not my company