From: Keith Hyman <hyman_keith@srs.loral.com>
Subject: Re: DEC Ada on DEC Unix
Date: 1996/03/21
Date: 1996-03-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> In article <314D7065.40CF@lfwc.lockheed.com>, "Byron B. Kauffman" <KauffmanBB@lfwc.lockheed.com> writes:
>
> > I've been doing the Ada thing for about 8 years or so, with 6 or 7 of
> > the 8 years spent working on DEC/VMS/Open VMS development systems for
> > VAX and 68040 targets, with the remainder (and currently) being in UNIX
> > environments - Harris HAPSE and SGI/VERDIX, to be exact.
>
> > My current situation is that are currently porting an EXTREMLY large
> > piece of Ada (~4000 program units) to an SGI machine. Here's my
> > "rhetorical" question - why can't the UNIX Ada development systems (with
> > the obvious exception of the Rational Rose/APEX/etc. products) come up
> > with something as good as DEC's?

> So how does DEC Ada do on DEC Unix ?
>
> Supposedly it is comes from the same code base.
> So how does DEC Ada do on DEC Unix ?

> Supposedly it is comes from the same code base

With some bugs...  The version of Dec Ada for Ultrix that I used ate
up 4k of RAM for every open and close of a disk file.  At one point we
lost 1.25 MB a day.  This problem was known within DEC but not
advertised or published to my knowledge.  Eventually, we were
forwarded the instructions on how to fix the ported LOW_LEVEL_IO.ada
module.