* GPS doesn't see system libraries
@ 2015-07-27  1:07 EGarrulo
From: EGarrulo @ 2015-07-27  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have installed GPS 2015 and, when I open an existing project, I get
this error:

    unknown project file: "gnatcoll"

This is because the project references GNATColl.  My understanding is that I
should set some environment variables, and I have done so:

export ADA_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/share/ada/adainclude:$ADA_INCLUDE_PATH
export ADA_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.9/adalib:$ADA_LIBRARY_PATH

But the problem persists.  What is wrong?  Thank you.

* Re: GPS doesn't see system libraries
@ 2015-07-27  6:40 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-07-27  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

EGarrulo <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> I have installed GPS 2015 and, when I open an existing project, I get
> this error:
>
>     unknown project file: "gnatcoll"
>
> This is because the project references GNATColl.  My understanding is that I
> should set some environment variables, and I have done so:
>
> export ADA_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/share/ada/adainclude:$ADA_INCLUDE_PATH
> export ADA_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.9/adalib:$ADA_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> But the problem persists.  What is wrong?  Thank you.

It looks as though you're using Debian Jessie?

It could be that you've fallen foul of the difference between the Debian
file system layout for Ada and the AdaCore (GNAT GPL and FSF)
layout. The Debian one came first, I think ... see [1].

Debian keeps libraries (well, actually, GPRs; the GPR says where to find
its source and object code) under /usr/share/ada/adainclude.

AdaCore keeps GPRs typically under $prefix/lib/gnat and/or
$prefix/<arch>/lib/gnat; you can tell by running "gnatls -v", look at
the last section of the output. They also include $prefix/share/gpr,
$prefix/<arch>share/gpr.

You shouldn't (can't) mix GNAT GPL libraries and Debian-provided
libraries.

The environment variables you're looking for are ADA_PROJECT_PATH or
GPR_PROJECT_PATH (I don't recall why there are two).

[1] https://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html

* Re: GPS doesn't see system libraries
@ 2015-07-27 16:50 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-07-27 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     unknown project file: "gnatcoll"

Keep in mind that using GNATCOLL makes your software straight GPLv3.

There are better libraries with better licenses then GNATCOLL if becomes and issue.

David Botton

* Re: GPS doesn't see system libraries
@ 2015-07-27 18:22   ` EGarrulo
From: EGarrulo @ 2015-07-27 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, July 27, 2015 at 8:39:59 AM UTC+2, Simon Wright wrote:
> It looks as though you're using Debian Jessie?

Yes, I am.

> [1] https://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html

This is very useful to know, thank you.

At last, by following your suggestion to look at the output of `gnatls -v`, I was able to configure ADA_INCLUDE_PATH, ADA_OBJECTS_PATH and ADA_PROJECT_PATH correctly, thanks.