* OS/2 - Latest emx version?
@ 1996-02-20  0:00 Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1996-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's a question for you Emacs/GNAT/OS2 users out there.

I have (what I think is) the latest version of GNAT installed on my
system. I tried to install the latest version of the emacs port (19.30)
and I got an error message telling me that my version of emx is too
old to install that version of emacs. My question is:

What version of emacs do you folks use?
Will GNAT barf on the new emx (0.9b)?

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |

* Re: OS/2 - Latest emx version?
@ 1996-02-21  0:00     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1996-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:

> Thank you, but that's not nessecary. My main worry was that if I
> installed the newer version of emx, GNAT 3.01 would quit working.

Sorry to reply to myself, but this just in:

The word from the good folks at ACT ( mailto:report@gnat.com )is
that it should work, since they have managed to use GNAT 3.01
successfully in house with the new emx.

(Hopefully, ACT doesn't consider posting their mailto: link a
libelous act. :-) )

From: Ted Dennison @ 1996-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ralph Paul wrote:

> Ted Dennison <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com> wrote:
> my setup :      1. emx0.9b with emxfix1
>                 2. emacs 19.30 with the two-files from ada-mode 2.12
>                    which are not included in the default emacs
>                    ada-mode.
>                 3. GNAT 2.05 ( I am waiting for GNAT 3.0X , X > 1)
>                 4. g77
>
> At least on my setup things work out fine. I am using gcc 2.7.2 with
> GNAT 2.05, so I expect  3.01 to work as well.
> Please run "emxrev" to determine the version of your emx setup.
> I will post mine if you like ?

Thank you, but that's not nessecary. My main worry was that if I
installed the newer version of emx, GNAT 3.01 would quit working.
This wouldn't be out-and-out disasterous. I'd just have to wipe
out emacs and gnat and reinstall gnat with successively eariler
versions of emacs until I found a version that works with GNAT's
emx. But this would take a lot of time, and my "free time" is
quite limited these days, with the 60 hours of work a week, and
grad school, and the new baby...

From:  @ 1996-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com> wrote:
> Here's a question for you Emacs/GNAT/OS2 users out there.
>
> I have (what I think is) the latest version of GNAT installed on my
> system. I tried to install the latest version of the emacs port (19.30)
> and I got an error message telling me that my version of emx is too
> old to install that version of emacs. My question is:
>
> What version of emacs do you folks use?
> Will GNAT barf on the new emx (0.9b)?

Hi,

my setup :  	1. emx0.9b with emxfix1
		2. emacs 19.30 with the two-files from ada-mode 2.12
		   which are not included in the default emacs
		   ada-mode.
		3. GNAT 2.05 ( I am waiting for GNAT 3.0X , X > 1)
		4. g77

At least on my setup things work out fine. I am using gcc 2.7.2 with
GNAT 2.05, so I expect  3.01 to work as well.
Please run "emxrev" to determine the version of your emx setup.
I will post mine if you like ?

CU,

Ralph Paul

	ralph@ifr.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de

* Re: OS/2 - Latest emx version?
@ 1996-02-22  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-02-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

T.E.D. says

"(Hopefully, ACT doesn't consider posting their mailto: link a
libelous act. :-) )"

Certainly not! :-)

Indeed, let me say what I said to Ted -- always send us mail (us =
report@gnat.com). We can't always promise to be able to respond quickly
to mail from unsupported customers, but very often we can quickly answer
questions and are happy to do so!

* Re: OS/2 - Latest emx version?
@ 1996-02-23  0:00 ` Tore Joergensen
From: Tore Joergensen @ 1996-02-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison (dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com) wrote:
: Here's a question for you Emacs/GNAT/OS2 users out there.

: I have (what I think is) the latest version of GNAT installed on my
: system. I tried to install the latest version of the emacs port (19.30)
: and I got an error message telling me that my version of emx is too
: old to install that version of emacs. My question is:

: What version of emacs do you folks use?
: Will GNAT barf on the new emx (0.9b)?

AFAIK, the latest gnat version (v. 3.01) for OS/2 uses emx 0.9a. There
was some talk about making a new version for the latest emx (I guess
that is 0.9b ?), but I haven't heard anything more about it. Since I
don't use emacs, I will not even try to say anything about that :-)
--
+-------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
| Tore B. Joergensen      | e-mail : tore@lis.pitt.edu                |

* Re: OS/2 - Latest emx version?
@ 1996-02-23  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1996-02-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tore Joergensen wrote:

> AFAIK, the latest gnat version (v. 3.01) for OS/2 uses emx 0.9a. There
> was some talk about making a new version for the latest emx (I guess
> that is 0.9b ?), but I haven't heard anything more about it. Since I
> don't use emacs, I will not even try to say anything about that :-)

The impression I got from ACT was that they are currently working on
a new version of GNAT (no suprise there) which, when released, will
be running with emx 0.9b (or greater).

They also indicated that they had run GNAT 3.01 with emx 0.9b
successfully at least once (ie: to bootstrap the new version of GNAT).