From: Ted Dennison <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com>
Subject: Re: Ada for Boeing 777
Date: 1996/02/20
Date: 1996-02-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Frank Petranka wrote:
>    The richness and complexity of the language helped knowledgeable users
>    with mature tools achieve modest productivity gains.  However, the
>    complexity of the language caused headaches for other users who had
>    to work through compiler problems. ..."
>
> As someone who has used both Ada and C, I was suprised and disappointed
> that code written in Ada produced no fewer problems than code written in
> C.  Athough variables such as experience, code complexity, etc. could
> affect the results, it seems to me that they should average out on
> such a massive project.
>
> Am I expecting too much from Ada?

It seems that they were saying that the folks who were not
"knowledgeable users" were the ones who saw lower productivity
(versus, I presume, knowledgeable C users) I wouldn't consider that
a shocking result.

It seems the lesson here is that a lack of knowledgeable Ada
personell can negate any productivity gains you were expecting to
get from using the language. It is pretty easy to find articles
on C++ development that come to the same conclusion. Again, hardly
shocking. Experience pays.

I don't find the fact that there is a learning curve particularly
damning.

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |