From: Steve Howard <howard@mtm.syr.ge.com>
Subject: Re: Ada for Boeing 777
Date: 1996/02/20
Date: 1996-02-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Frank Petranka quoted:
>   "What we have learned so far about the use of Ada on the 777 is a mixed
>    message. ... We found no correlation between the languages used and
>    the number of problems found on the system.  We found instances where
>    Ada was used effectively, and the developers felt it substantially
>    reduced software integration problems.  In other cases, development
>    was hampered by problems with compilers and other support tools....
>
>    The richness and complexity of the language helped knowledgeable users
>    with mature tools achieve modest productivity gains.  However, the
>    complexity of the language caused headaches for other users who had
>    to work through compiler problems. ..."

Although I am not familiar with the article, or the project for that matter,
it sounds like the problems that they had have more to the tools chosen
than Ada itself. The fact that the developers found it much easier to
integrate the system speaks volumes for the effectiveness of Ada, since
IMHO this is the hardest part of large system development, and one of
Ada's strongest attributes.

We had similar experience with the development of the AN/BSY-2 Combat system
for the Seawolf Submarine (3.5+ million lines, mostly Ada).

> Am I expecting too much from Ada?

Not necessarily. Much depends on the experience of the engineers, the development
process used, and the tools in place. Engineers who have previously written in C
often find ways around the protective features of Ada to fit C development style,
for example.... (sure to start a flame war, but what the heck)

--
E. Steve Howard                | Lockheed Martin
mailto:howard@mtm.syr.ge.com   | Syracuse, NY